Existing Member?

Ecuador

Female Identity

ECUADOR | Wednesday, 8 January 2014 | Views [460]

     The gender roles in Ecuador are fairly prominent.  I have noticed women are expected to stay home and take care of the family, while the husband works for the income.  I have observed my host mom and how much work she does for the family.  She makes breakfast every morning for each of us, and caters it to the time we get up.  Last Sunday I was the only one to have to wake up early, and she felt it was her duty to wake up and make me breakfast before I leave.  I told her I could make it myself so she wouldn’t have to wake up early, but she insisted.

     One of the most impactful conversations I have had in Ecuador has been one with my host mom.  She told me she was proud I was going into advertising and that I could make a difference.  She told me she liked taking care of the family, but if she were to ever work she would want to be a counselor for women who wanted to work.  She wants to help them find opportunities and convince them they are able to succeed.  She asked me if many opportunities were common for women in America.  When I told her that it is normal to have two working parents, she looked sad that it was not the same here in Ecuador.  She explained that it is not necessarily looked down upon when women have careers; however women feel they are expected to take care of the family.

     The younger generation in Ecuador is beginning to change this cultural identity of women.  My sister is going to school for physical therapy, and she says many of her friends are also pursuing a career.  My host mom thinks it is getting better, but there is still a long way to go.

     I am fortunate to be a woman in America where I can pursue my dreams in a career.  There is still talk of inequality in the workplace, but at least I have more options than women in Ecuador.  In the United States, it is more of an expectation for women to go to school and get their degrees.  I feel respected as a college educated woman and I am proud of what I have accomplished.  

About teresakast


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.