Existing Member?

Ecuador

Consumer Culture

ECUADOR | Monday, 6 January 2014 | Views [643] | Comments [2]

     This experience in Ecuador has put in perspective for me how much the United States is a consumerist culture.  Everything is so simplistic here.  Our whole culture in America revolves around money.  People in our culture try to make as much money as they can, and are also known to show it off. It is completely different here in Ecuador.  They use their money to support their families. If they have any excess income, they use it on necessities, give to churches, or save it (the latter is a hard one for me).

     As an American, I feel as though I grew up to be materialistic (no seriously, you should see my closet).  I always want the new, trendy clothes.  After spending some time here in Ecuador, I have been asking myself the question, “Why?”  Why do I have it? Why do I “need" it?  The answer may be that I have insecurities.  Or maybe it is the pressure by the people in my environment.  It could even be that I have been doing it for so long that it has become a habit, which is a hard one to break.

     I feel as though I am not the only one in America with this problem.  As of late, it seems more of an epidemic.  According to the Harvard economist Juliet Shor, when our income rises, instead of saving our earning we spend it and therefore feel as though our income needs to rise yet again.  The more money we have means the more we can spend.  Think about celebrities: They aren’t buying their clothes at Forever 21 or Target.  They are wearing Dolce and Gabbana and Gucci to portray their wealth.

     I used to feel bad for countries that were “poorer” than the United States.  Now I am envious.  “Poor” is a subjective term.  They may not have as much money as the United States, but they are rich in love, simplicity, and care.  They are happy and thankful for what they have, no matter how much or little that may be.  Americans tend to be ethnocentric, when in reality we do not have a better culture; it is merely a different culture.  These differences are neither good nor bad, just different.

     According to John Oetzal in Interculteral Communication, “Culture is to humans as water is to fish.  We do not really see the importance of it until we are out of it.” Now that I am out of the culture of the United States, it is much easier to realize what our culture entails now that I can compare it to the culture of Ecuador.

Comments

1

Looks like this trip has already been a little eye opening for you. Hope you continue to have a great trip, but just make sure you come home at the end

  A Peanut Supplier Jan 6, 2014 11:56 AM

2

Amazing reflection, Teresa. Many people cannot articulate or critique this difference even after living abroad for years.

  Marianne Jan 7, 2014 4:47 AM

About teresakast


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.