Existing Member?

Travelling Koalas in Asia

My Scholarship entry - Seeing the world through other eyes

WORLDWIDE | Thursday, 15 March 2012 | Views [189] | Scholarship Entry

In 2008, I travelled in Australia for 3 months and absolutely loved it, a year later, I decided to move to the Gold Coast; the culture shock endured was immense to say the least where the no worries mentality threw me off guard. Moving from America, where I let stress, anxiety, and yes, worries rule my life to relocating to this beautiful coastal city where it is as if the relaxed beach lifestyle is a pre-requisite to the ordinance of life. I once thought that life, liberty and happiness consisted of earning lots of money, owning a big house in a nice suburb with lots of unessential items; the rest consumed with hard work until retirement and then (hopefully) travelling comes into play. Upon this newly adopted lifestyle in the Land Down Under, I have rekindled my understanding of life, liberty and happiness into working to live, not living to work. This new form of awakening has inspired me to live a life with no regrets, where I try everything at least once, and never use an excuse to stop me from achieving one of my many life goals.

It is hard to let things go and just relax, but life is not meant to live so stressed, in a state of constant scrutiny of our external world; of course, we all want to change the world we live in to our perception of what better is. Mahatma Gandhi once said “be the change that you want to see in the world” and that is exactly what I did with changing my scenery and travelling. In retrospect, I admit, I was a scinicist, a complainer, a negative person who simply looked for the faults in things and others. It is amazing to see the world on the other side of the grass. I agree, nothing is perfect, but imperfections and overcoming set boundaries make our achievements so much greater. I welcome whatever happens into my life, good or bad, and I have travelling to Australia to thank for that. Moving here and seeing this world and my life through different eyes has truly set me free to believe that anything is possible.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About teamkoller


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.