Existing Member?

Truly Experiencing

A Country's True Colours

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 13 May 2014 | Views [92] | Scholarship Entry

The first time I travelled into the city I met an aboriginal man who seemed surprised when my father asked him what tribe he was from, it was clear that no one else from his audience had attempted to understand the distinction. The dreamtime story he’d infused such conviction into telling was lost on people who thought his painted body was nothing more than a novelty. They blushed at his lack of what they considered suitable clothing and laughed at his dance, like the ceremony before them was less spiritual for it’s differences. We talked to him as others took pictures against his wishes: the risk of losing his soul worth the memento to them. All they knew of our country was its dusty outback heart and pretty harbour bridge decoration. All they cared about was getting a photo that conveniently summed up our culture before they went to lunch.

Iconic Australia is painted in shades of orange and brown. From the dust on our work boots to the native animals we’re renowned for, there’s a colour palette that clothes our nation. The sepia cast marks us as ‘rural’ and the term ‘true blue’ is thrown around ironically like we don’t genuinely know the meaning ourselves. As if the shade couldn’t possibly be found in the burnt lands we pride ourselves on. People advertise our dangerous wildlife and harsh landscapes, like our rain forests don’t hold yellow birds that sound like wind chimes and the peaks of our mountains are not perfectly still and white. We are more than a big rock, a busy beach and the city your plane lands in.

Discovering any country is about immersing yourself in its customs and community with an open and eager mind. The nuances of a place and it's true colours are far more enriching then the stereotypes you see in movies. So when you stumble upon a koori elder eager to tell you about The Creation, grasp the opportunity and let your stomach wait.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About taylor


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.