Existing Member?

The Swashbuckler

Jungala

THAILAND | Saturday, 19 April 2014 | Views [139] | Scholarship Entry

The concept of fear is one that every human must face in their lifetime. An opportunity to surpass our expectations of ourself, it predicates most of the things that make you feel alive.

I find myself in that emotional grey area, as I propel myself through a vast winding jungle road, atop a scooter that has seen far too much asphalt in it's lifetime. My peripheral vision see's only a blurry mess of green as I swallow my common sense, pushing the boundaries of what a rented scooter is capable of.

To think, just ten minutes ago, I was starting the engine, for the very first time. Mind you I'd driven all kinds of vehicles in my capacity as an individual, but as far as I was concerned, two-wheeled vehicles of any kind are licenced deathtraps.

Debilitating fear meets exhilarating experience and fear walks out the door. Cruising through a tunnel of jungle trees, rural dwellings littered throughout, I spot elephants lumbering across the road in front of me, I stop on the side of the road as they walk across, fearful of their sheer size and yet in blissful awe at what was in front of me. I chuckle to myself and continue on my journey up the mountain.

All too fast, I make it to the top of a toe-curling hill ascent and am greeted with a view of the ocean that plasters the kind of smile on my face you'd hide from little kids for fear of scaring them. In that moment I knew there was no other way I wanted to experience travel within Thailand.

Sitting behind the window of a car seemed almost insulting to the senses. All that beauty masked by metal and glass.

I could taste the ocean, feel sweat drip drown my back and hear myself laughing from sheer ecstasy. Fear was my friend that day.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About tauriqdolley


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.