Existing Member?

Scotland Escape

Arrival: A Journey Back in Time

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 29 July 2016 | Views [272]

I'm exhausted. Sleep deprived. But as the clouds clear and I finally get a view of Scotland's landscapes, I gain a bit more energy. There are so many shades of green. And the rolling hills! We fly over a few castles, lochs (keeping an eye out for Nessie from day #1!), and lighthouses, all while I'm trying to keep myself focused. It's easy to get overwhelmed by the beauty here. The weather is glorious as well. Mid-50s, cloudy but not humid. Perfecto! 

I make my way through Customs (super quick!) and set off in a taxi for my hotel. With each passing black, I feel like I'm stepping further back in time. This city is old. I mean, really old. For those of you who have been here, you know. The sense of ancient past reflects in the buildings and architecture. A photographer's playground. By this point, I just can't wait to get out and snap some photos- but even then they don't seem to capture how the Edinburgh Castle seems to "float" around me. My mouth pretty much fell open with my first glimpse of the huge castle nestled on top of Castle Rock, a glacier-worn stump of a long-extinct volcano.

A bit of history on Catle Rock: In the 7th century it was called Dun Eiden (meaning 'Fort on the Hill Slope'). When it was captured by invaders from the kingdome of Northumbria in northeast England in 638, they took the existing Gaelic name 'Eiden' and tacked it onto their own Old English word for fort, 'burh', to create the name Edinburgh. *Just a side note here: I'll probably litter this whole blog with fun history facts!* This castle dates back to the 11th century. And it shows. The age is reflected in the architecture and each stone that makes up this ginormous fort. Actually, this rocky hill was the most easily defended hilltop due to the countless armies from the Roman legions of the 1st and 2nd centuries AD to the Jacobite troops of Bonnie Prince Charlie in 1745. Now, it serves various purposes as the British army's main base in Scotland.

Back to my trip... After I check in to my room, I manage to shower (probably one of the best showers I've had after traveling for 24 hours) and then make my way around Princes St and Princes Gardens. The sound of bagpipes floats in the air, and the aroma of delicious bakeries floods the air as I pass by each one. I'm uncertain of that last time I actually ate a full meal, so I venture off to find some authentic-ish food. I had my mind set on a haggis-dish, but the recommneded restaurants were full and had a bit of a wait. After 20 minutes or so of searching, I came across a pub in the basement of an old building. The bartender suggested the steak and ale pie and I'm glad I ordered it. It was one of the best things I've ever tasted. Could have been my slight delirium due to sleep deprivation or strong hunger pains (maybe a bit of both), but it was tasty. The buttery, flaky crust of the pie was a delectable compliment to the gravy and steak inside. Just in case this couldn't get any "heartier", I also ordered a side of mashed potatoes and gravy. Not the best meal for my waistline but hey, I'm on vacation and I have a fair amount of hiking planned for the Isle of Skye. Just "stocking up" on calories here. Oh, did I mention the cider? I'm a cider-girl. I love most of them. The one here is just as good and alongside the steak and ale pie, it made my belly very happy. 

Time to head back to my room and sleep. Ah, rest. What does that feel like? Exhaustion sets in and I manage to fall asleep right away, but now I've been awake since 2am. This time change is screwing with me. Even though its 5:30am now, I'll still get out early. Maybe beat the other tourists? I've got a lot planned for today, especially since I lost almost a full day of sight-seeing yesterday due to delayed flights/cancellations. I'm going to venture off to Old Town- a jagged and jumbled maze of masonry riddled with alleys, wynds, stairs, and vaults. This Royal Mile has centuries of history and I plan to take my time and enjoy it all. 

For now, cheers. I'll write more later. 

About tattoo_traveler


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.