Existing Member?

Adventures in the Galapagos For the month of November, 2009 I will be traveling to the Galapagos Islands, Ecuador to teach English.

Crazy first day of volunteering!

USA | Saturday, 7 November 2009 | Views [240]

Thursday morning I got up early and got ready for my first day at school. The house maid met me (because the owner is out of town) and showed me to the school. After a long conversation (in spanish) with an administrator we were headed to another school. This happened three times before she finally said we were going home and would try again on friday. I had no idea what was going on!! I spent the afternoon on my own exploring a part of the island that you have to take a water taxi to. There was a very small beach, a salt mine, and the famous Finch Hotel. I decided to take a hike up to Lad Griestas. It is a small canyon like area where fresh water meets salt water. The hike was strenuius because it is just a path of large lave rocks, and I was in flip flops--foolishly. But, when I got there, it was quiet and absolutely beautiful. There were only 3 other people and they were very cool (and spoke English!!). The water was crisp, crystal clear, and very refreshing after a long hike. I spent the rest of the afternoon on the beach and wandering through town. It is absolutely beautiful. Different, and desert like, but beautiful.

About taryn101


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.