Existing Member?

Taro's Travels

Linear Minutiae [finally completed]

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 29 August 2008 | Views [701] | Comments [1]

Behold, a reasonably unadorned chronology that will be updated from time to time for the benefit of those who for some reason enjoy this kind of thing.

Sat 29 Aug: Bus from Canberra to Sydney; Flight from Sydney to Abu Dhabi.

Bored yet?

Sun 30 Aug: Flight from Abu Dhabi to London; Train from Heathrow to Green Square and thence to West Hampstead. Bus with Ange and Kieren down to Trafalgar Square to wander around through Covent Garden, Soho, etc. Meet Kez and Fred near Oxford Cross before returning to West Hampstead. Walk up through Hampstead and to Hampstead Heath's Parliament Hill and back.

Mon 1 Sep: Decide not to take map and just wing it. Walk through part of Hampstead's West Heath to the Hill Garden at the back of Inverforth House. Come back past Jack Straw's Castle and into the East Heath. Walk up to Kenwood House. Have brunch while waiting for it to open. See lots of old artwork, much of it Dutch. Walk from there to Highgate to wander the eastern cemetery. Walk down to Highgate Gate, one of the exits of the Heath, and bus to Regent's Park. Spend 3 hours at the London Zoo before taking the watercab from there up Regent's Canal to Little Venice. Walk from there back to West Hampstead.

Tue 2 Sep: Bus to Baker St. Meet Kathrine and go to the Sherlock Holmes Museum. Tube down to Waterloo and walk up Southbank to Westminster Bridge then back down to the Tate Modern. View modern art - no major installation in the main space at the moment, and the gallery with Ernst and Duchamp was closed. Meet up with Kathrine's Peter - now no longer alleged - and later Kerry and Kieren.

Wed 3 Sep: Bus to Baker St. Walk Regent's Park including Queen Mary's Gardens, then down to Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens, including Albert Memorial and (unentered) Kensington Palace. Back to Speaker's Corner to see Marble Arch (which I'd somehow missed the first time) then down Park Lane and across Mayfair to Regent St to bus back to West Hampstead. Train to Waterloo and thence to Lambeth North to meet Kerry.

Thu 4 Sep: The all-day whistlestop tour of the British Museum. Will need to go back.

Fri 5 Sep: Tower of London with Kathrine. Meet up with Peter and later with Kerry and Farrah for curry.

No, really, are you bored yet?

Sat 6 Sep: Portobello Road Markets with Kerry (shopping for food, window shopping for antiques). Pie and Pint in Pub. Visit Peter and Kathrine's narrow boat and cruise down from Greenford to Kensal Green.

Sun 7 Sep: Imperial War Museum, in what used to be Bedlam (a fine sense of irony?). Dinner with Ange and Keiren.

Mon 8 Sep: Buckingham Palace for Changing of the Guard; walk from there through Whitehall to see Westminster Abbey and Palace; visit the Banqueting House; continue through Chinatown and Covent Garden to St Pauls. Explore St Paul's (spectacular) before listening to Evensong.

Tue 9 Sep: Boat from Embankment to St Katharine's Dock then to Greenwich. Walk through Greenwich Village then up the hill to the Observatory. Down to Maritime Museum for an hour and a bit before closing, missing the Queen's House.

Wed 10 Sep: City walk - including through Barbican. Stand up comedy night in a pub in Islington - 2/6ths of the comics were Australians, all comics reasonably funny.

Thu 11 Sep: Cambridge for the day. Walk through the West End at night after getting back to London

Fri 12 Sep: Shop for dinner in Elephant and Castle (it was a rest day). Dinner wildly successful.

Sat 13 Sep: Train to High Wycombe before drive to High Basildon for lunch followed by visit to Basildon Park.

Sun 14 Sep: Yumcha with Kerry and Kieren before going down to Southbank to meet Kathrine and Peter to see the Thames Festival.  Meet up with Kerry and later Claire, Paddy and Jess to see the fireworks over the Thames.  Walk home through Graffiti Alley; most of the original stencil art has been sprayed over.

Mon 15 Sep: Train to Oxford.  Wander the town in the afternoon including seeing Christ Church.

Tue 16 Sep: Oxford Castle in the morning; city tour in the afternoon.

Wed 17 Sep: Blenheim Palace.

Thu 19 Sep: Oxford to Nottingham.  See Nottingham Caves in the afternoon (good, but accessed from inside ugly Broadmarsh Shopping Centre). Poker in the evening (Apparently Europe's largest dedicated poker room)

Fri 20 Sep: Visit what's left of Sherwood Forest.

Sat 21 Sep: Walks up peaks around Matlock in the Peak District.

Sun 22 Sep: Nottingham to York.  Walk on the walls of old York followed by taking The Original Ghost Tour.

Mon 23 Sep: Visit Thirsk -- "Darrowby" in All Creatures Great and Small -- on a damp Market Day to see the rather good Herriot Veterinary museum.

Tue 24 Sep: Visit Goathland -- Aidensfield in Heartbeat -- to trip over the Yorkshire Moors and neighbouring farmland. One thing's for sure: with rivulets to cross, and sheep pats to avoid, and tussocks of heather to leap between, and everywhere mud mud mud, anyone who's ever thought that doing all that in white crinoline as "romantic" is right daft.

Wed 25 Sep: Up to Edinburgh.

Thu 26 Sep: Visit Stirling, walk up to the William Wallace Memorial and back followed by Stirling Castle.

Fri 26 Sep: Stroll up to King Arthur's Seat and back, then see the Castle. Yes, I do see, to have done quite a lot of walking.

Sat 27 Sep: Fly to Dublin, staying with Peter's Aunt Betty. Go down to central Dublin's Orange Light District in the evening for a couple of hours.

Sun 28 Sep: Betty takes me through via some Irish bogland to walk a short stretch of the Wicklow Way. The Irish bog is somewhat similar in appearance to the Yorkshire Moors being heavily heathered, but is different in that swathes of peat blocks have been extracted. After my first real Irish Coffee -- caffeine, sugar, alcohol, cream: it's delicious evil in a glass -- I bus to Galway.

Mon 29 Sep: Wander round Galway.

Tue 30 Sep: Ferry to Inis Oirr, the smallest of the Aran Islands -- Father Ted's "Craggy Island" -- it's wet, windswept, and very very stony. I'd intended to get a ferry to Doolin in the afternoon, but it was too wet and windswept in Doolin for the ferry to be leaving for several days, so I unexpectedly had to spend the night

Wed 1 Oct: Ferry back to Galway in time to make the late bus to do the short tour down to the Cliffs of Moher (huge, verdant, stony, wet, so very very windswept) getting off at nearby village of Doolin. Stayed at the Aille River Hostel (highly recommended!) and spent the night at the pub with a couple of Swiss travellers, who'd made several trips back to Doolin owing to its excellent live music scene.

Thu 2 Oct: bus down to Cork City, and thence to Fountainstown to meet up with bride and groom and the Canberra contingent of wedding guests -- Kerry, Minh, Naomi, Nell.

Fri 3 Oct: Turkish Shave in the morning, and a fine wedding, weather remaining great for the photos, in the afternoon. There is allegedly dancing at the reception. There's also possibly the most embarassing attempt ever by a group of Australians at failing to sing Men at Work's "Land Down Under", but fortunately the Irish Band knew lyrics and music.

Sat 4 Oct: A lazy morning and another party in the evening.

Sun 5 Oct: Road Trip with Nell and Naomi, heading up to the Ring of Kerry. We were originally going to go for Killarney, but reached the thoroughly charming Kenmare, and stopped for the night.

Mon 6 Oct: The Ring of Kerry is one of the most beautiful areas in Ireland... allegedly. We had mist, fog, cloud, rain -- near horizontal at times -- with a few patches of sun by the time we got in site of the beginning of the Dingle Peninsula. The day wasn't unmemorable, however, with a bumpy ride down a foggy track through the centre of the peninsula. Reached Killarney, smelled the dank bunkroom that the unfriendly manager of the unfriendly hostel there showed us to, and went and stayed at the 5 star hotel nearby for basically the same price once the included breakfast was taken into account

Tue 7 Oct: Said goodbye to the girls, who found the 5 star breakfast so good that they stayed another night, and bussed down to Cork City and thence to the airport.

Thu 9 Oct: After 35+ hours of travel, wherein I lost a day, I arrived back in Canberra. A couple of weeks later I unjetlagged.

Comments

1

not bored just wishing i could get back there this side of senility

  ren Sep 9, 2008 12:22 PM

About taroso


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.