Existing Member?

Taro's Travels

Heights and Depths

CHINA | Monday, 23 October 2006 | Views [2236]

20: End of Phase 2c (Beijing to Kathmandu via Tibet)

The last dinner of our tour was held in a Tex/Mex-ish restaurant in Kathmandu, and afterward our tour leader Brett was presented with a little scrapbook as a thank-you and memento of the trip. A few people had to leave at that point owing to starting tours the next day; the rest opted for drinks at the bar opposite. The formal end of tour wasn't quite the end of things as a number of us remained in Kathmandu for varying durations, so there were a few more meals, a trip out to the Tibetan Bodhnath stupa and the art school nearby followed by a walk down to Pashupatinath (the holiest Hindu temple in Nepal), and some general hanging out. It was an excellent trip, and after 28 days or more, despite the potential for stress and friction, we were still a cohesive group.


19: Quiet Days

Before coming to Kathmandu, we stopped for a couple of days in nearby Dhulikhel. Our hotel was a hillside resort; a little slice of luxury after a period of rough travel and rude accommodation. It had tablecloths, flushing toilets, hot showers, cable TV, and what can reasonably described as "cuisine" - their restaurant does a haunch of chicken dressed as a bird, with a "head" and "tail" of vegetables. So, we received a very gentle introduction to Nepal (which in turn is supposed to be a very gentle introduction to India).

We strolled between village fields. We stopped to watch a school sports carnival. Girls had a "sari race", where they had to put a sari on and then run to the finish line, boys had a "cockfight", where they had to hop on one leg and evict or unbalance their opponants, and the female teachers played musical chairs while the male headmaster called the changes. We caught a local bus and rode on the roof to the town of Panauti, where we wandered the streets and visited the Indreshwar Mahadev temple complex at the confluence of two visible rivers (according to legend there's a third river submerged underground, so that a trident is formed). On the bank across from the fork, a funeral was taking place, with a crowd of men around a corpse prepared for a pyre, and a few women hovered around the periphery. Rituals were performed, and the pyre lit.


18: Border Zone

Our entry to Nepal was over the "Nepal-China Friendship bridge". You could tell that inter-country amity was a key consideration when it was designed, because it only had one narrow lane each way, and traffic was snarled so badly on the final slope it that our drivers dropped us at the top of the last bend and let us walk the last few hundred metres. We were fortunate that they took us so far, as between the immigration checkpoint at the border town of Zhang Mu and the bridge lie miles of no-man's-land, with shops and (what appeared to be) dwellings lining the road as it scribbles back and forth down steep and shady slopes.

Because of its orientation, I found Zhang Mu ("Dram" if you were Tibetan and "Khasa" if Nepali) visually and spatially interesting. Taken in isolation, its buildings are on the ugly side: streetfront counters selling the pick of Nepali imports, eateries of various styles and standards, cramped pink-lit massage parlours where pink-lit masseuses perch on pink-lit couches, and residential buildings; in other words, it has all the facilities that make a Chinese border town just another town. And yet, it's placed on so steep a slope. The only road to the checkpoint, one-laned for much of its truck-jammed length, serpentines down for quite a distance from the last turn off. A precipitous mess of stairs allows a longer walk to be avoided by cutting from one part of the road to another. The ugly buildings pile layer upon layer up the slope, and many have a view: of other ugly ugly buildings further down, of the green and pleasant no-man's-land, across the gorge to Nepali trees and farmed slopes, and of the river and falls between them.


17: Coming Down

Zhang Mu didn't feel like Tibet at all. The area around it was lush and the vegetation thick. There were trees -- so many real trees. Our road there passed (and in one case passed under) waterfalls, and once when we paused we saw what looked like a small logging camp way down by the river. Tinggri, where we spent the previous night was undoubtedly Tibet: barren, dry, treeless, and with the Himalayas stretching across the horizon. Our room in the motel there was one of the rougher permanent structures I've been in. I suspect from the little quirks in the architecture that concrete may have been slathered over underlying mud buildings. The feet of the bed were on wooden blocks because the concrete floor was neither flat nor level, opened-up beer cartons were used to line the base of the mattress, the walls and roof were dressed with floral cloth. In the shower room, tepid water streamed from a pipe embedded in the roof; the concrete underfoot there was freezing, and so was the wind, which came in through gaps overhead.


16: At the Bottom of the Top of the World

It was the very end of season at Everest Base Camp, only mid-October and icy but not snowy yet, but already some of the tents there were in the process of being packed up to be taken away by the trucks that were there. The proprieter of the Hotel California - yes, one of the tents there - said that by the next day half of the tents would be gone. We were the last of his customers for the year, and his tent was being packed up that day. Our last week would go quickly, said Brett, and it did. From arriving at our hotel at Rongphu Monastery, just eight kilometres frm Everest Base Camp and the highest monastery in the world, to the end of tour took just seven days.

The Nepali Everest Base Camp, a hike of weeks even if you do fly in to Lukla, is far less convenient than the Chinese one. It only takes two or three hours to walk up, and approximately 1 hour 22 minutes to race down as adrenaline and oxygen floods your system. Just behind the camp is a a hillock on which sits a stupa swaddled by prayer flags. The hillock, a pile of brown dirt and rocks still well below the snowline, isn't much higher than the valley floor - it's far lower than the moraine overlooking the camp which we came over as a "shortcut" - but I was still puffed when I climbed up with Jeff and Liz. There's an uninterrupted view of Everest from the top, and because it was still early the clouds had yet to shroud the peak. Yes, unless you've already been you really should!

Our first view of Everest had been a distant one the morning before, when our drivers made a pass-top stop to let us admire it. "That's not so big", I said - we were still a fair distance away. By afternoon the Himalayas looked a bit bigger - the next major pass had a view of half of the top ten mountains, though as the afternoon clouds had come up they were a bit harder to distinguish.


15: The High Life

Coming down from Base Camp my prediction of when we would be back was actually way under. Because of the rarified air at altitude, distant objects look clearer and thus much closer. The lack of air pressure at altitude means that food packets puff right up; in theory they can even burst. At altitude batteries don't last - my torch was dim after 15 minutes use - though this is due to low temperature rather than lack of oxygen. The key problem at altitude, though, is the potentially fatal Acute Mountain Sickness. We were all affected to some degree, but as we had weeks of acclimatisation, none of the problems were particularly serious. There were a couple of nosebleeds, headaches a-plenty, difficulty sleeping, and most of all difficulty breathing (you can get puffed climbing one flight of stairs), but noone had to stay behind or receive emergency treatment. Most of the over-50s on my tours were rather fit (two of them were Hash House Harriers) but there are scarily fit over-50s out there. While we were comfortably ensconced in four wheel drives, droves of them were cycling their way up mountains on their way to Everest Base Camp.

We were packed four or five (including driver) in fairly beefy four wheel drives; mine was shared with Japp, Helen, and Vanessa. Over long days of travel as we travelled westward from Lhasa, we sat, and read, and chatted, and played games, and watched the arid landscape through the dust of those ahead. Nepal is largely attractive; I don't think that I can say that about Tibet proper, apart from the area around Zhang Mu (which, although territorially Chinese, is Nepali in climate and terrain), but the description "harsh beauty" does fit it. I think of Tibet as being high desert even where there are rivers and there's grass on the ground. There is very little vegetation, and even fewer wild trees -- there used to be more, it's said, but they were clear-felled decades back. The air is cold but dry, affecting lips and sinuses in particular. It has bare cliffs and hilltops, tumbles of rocks and boulders, rivers carving their way across desolate plains, and rolling hills where patches of dirt and sand interrupt the stumpy brown grass. Yet, even miles from the nearest village in the middle of nowhere, you still see people - nomads and herders, campers and travellers, and farmers eking out a subsistance existance.

Back when we were still on the Tibetan grasslands, before we'd reached the Tibetan Autonomous Region (TAR), I noticed a sandy patch, and wondered if it was a sign of impending desertification. The area was once the Tethys Sea, Steve told me. When the plate India's on hit Eurasia, massive uplift occurred, the Himalayas formed, and sand and shells got lifted kilometres above sea level. We saw more sand after that, and once (while driving from Lhasa to Samye) we stopped to admire the odd contrast of sanddunes beside the road with snowcapped peaks in the background across the river.


14: Ups and Downs

One of the ways to help acclimatise to altitude is to walk up things. It gets the lungs working, stretches your capacity, and when you sleep you do so below the maximum altitude you've reached that day.

Gyantse has not only a monastery - visited, of course - but also what's left of a hill fortress. It's where a British force under Captain Francis Younghusband, invading on dubious pretext, defeated the Tibetan Army with the assistance of machine guns and artillery. I decided to shortcut the zigzagged path, and was badly winded by the time we reached the main gateway - and the highest point in the fortress was many stairs further up.

While in Lhasa, four of us - Bruce, Julia, Steve, and I - walked partway up the mountain behind Sera monastery. There are many routes up and down and across the hill, but we took the one which went past the monasteries and nunneries. A more energetic quartet - Colin, Japp, Liz, and Jeff - made an attempt on the top - 5000 metres or so. It was a fine route, with views looking down to central Lhasa, the Potala Palace, surrounding mountains and hills, and tunnels at their foot. It was also just long enough a walk for me. The Potala Palace also involved quite a bit of climbing - though stairs rather than slopes (the only slope to walk is from its exit to the bottom of the hill). It's by far the grandest and most imposing building in Lhasa and is full of temples, shrines, and tombs of Dalai Lamas. Only parts of it are accessible on the route through it, however, which starts at the top in the "Red Palace", and works its way down through the older lower "White Palace" floors.

Our first real climb, though, took place in Langmusi. We'd started with a walk to visit one of its two monasteries, and even just walking to temples twenty metres up the slope was tiring. Behind that monastery is a small valley which we walked up which was far nicer on the lungs. The route goes past a holy cave and the spring from which the valley's stream flows, and into a verdant rock strewn open area. Our group wandered off in different directions. A few were content to stick to the valley floor, a few decided to really push themselves and vanished in search of the heights, and Ness and I ascended one slope through spiky scrubby bushes to a rock outcropping where we met Col and Steve who'd chosen an approach from the other side. For some reason, slopes are far easier to ascend than stairs.


13: Vodka Training

There were two Intrepid groups that travelled on the train from Beijing to Xian. It's a matter of fact that ours was more fun. Kevin and Lea, who'd come off a Russia to China Vodka Train tour, had been quietly gnawing their limbs off in disappointment at the fellow passengers they'd been saddled with. We gave them and their Genuine Russian Vodka a warm welcome to our group, and congaed up the train in search of the dining carriage. I can understand why they were so disappointed with their fellow passengers. When we arrived at Xian, our group and theirs ended up at the same bar. By about half past ten, all the members of their group had trickled away in dribs and drabs in cups of warm milk and bed, except for Keven, Lea, and their tour leader Sharon.

Most of our group, the skeletal remnant of their group, and a couple of other Intrepid tour leaders who were in town, went to the Black Cat nightclub. And there was music and dancing and podium dancing and for some there was a little pole dancing. And there was more vodka, which may not come as a surprise given that previous sentence. Nor was it particularly surprising when we heard they'd left their tour behind: the prospect of days caged on Three Gorges cruise had apparently lost its appeal. I believe they rejoined their fellow passengers afterward.


12: Sights and Brett

We went and saw the Terracotta Warriors near Xian, which were impressive in their quantity and artisanship but... okay. We went to see part of the Great Wall at Mutianyu, and tobogganned down (the friction burn on my elbow still isn't quite healed). And we went with an excellent local guide, Kevin, to the Forbidden City in Beijing, much of it under repair and inaccessible. In the park behind the Forbidden City, we walked up the hill to see the smog-drenched skyline, came down and watched a master calligrapher write on the flagstones using water and a sponge-tipped pole, and then went and feasted at a nearby restaurant.

We had quickly established - by our first meal - that Bruce, Florian, and I loved our chilli, and it was lucky for us that we had stops in Beijing, Xian, and Chengdu (capital of Sichuan) because it was hard to satisfy a capsaicin addiction in Tibet: if they had chilli sauce, it was more tomato than anything else. Not everybody shared our taste, and our second dinner - in a Sichuan restaurant in Beijing - brought tears to the eyes of several. The dinner included a particularly memorable chilli chicken, which had less chicken than chilli (they were the dried variety, so they weren't so very hot).

It seems, by the way, that almost everyone who joins a package tour falls into one of four categories. We all did. These categories are Technical (science/engineering/computing), Public Service, Financial (including accounting), and Health (or ex-health). The one exception was Kym on the Gecko's tour, whose wife Di was ex-health. Go Figure.

So - who were my fellow passengers?
Alain - Quebec, Canada.
Bruce - Canberra.
Colin - Leeds, UK -- travelling for at least a year.
Florian - Switzerland, originally Germany.
Helen - Sydney.
Japp - Southern Holland -- travelling for 5+ months.
Jeff - San Diego, USA.
Julia - Köln, Germany.
Liz - San Diego, USA. Fiancee of Jeff (incidently because 3/4 of her surname is contained within Jeff's, they're going to portmanteau their names when they wed -- very cool!).
Steve - Shepperton.
Vanessa - Sydney. Friends with Helen
And our tour leader was Brett, originally from Michigan, USA

We'd first met as a group in the bar of the hotel (though Japp and I, who were sharing a room, met earlier that day and went for a bit of a wander). We sat around the table there, and introduced overselves. We received cloth bags, chopsticks, and a booklet with information and maps for the places we'd be visiting. Brett went over some background information about the areas we were going to, what would happen, and life on the tour in general. He leafed through the trip notes and read out a key passage:

This is a demanding, overland travel trip, which is suitable for the experienced traveller. The affects of altitude, long days travel in old 4WDs over extremely rough roads, accommodation in shared dormitories that vary in quality from the basic to very basic and the possibility of severe and sudden climate changes means that this is definitely not a trip for the armchair traveller. Be prepared for no showers for several days, and in the event of a landslide blocking the road you may be required to walk carrying your own luggage for unspecified distances.

Then we went out for Peking Duck at a local restaurant.


11: Start of Phase 2c (Beijing to Kathmandu via Tibet) / End of phase 2b (Hanoi to Beijing).

We went out for Peking Duck at a local restaurant, though two passengers didn't attend. Afterwards, five of us went for last drinks at the bar next door. Phase 2b, the Gecko's tour from Hanoi to Beijing was not nearly as successful as phases 2a or 2c, and one critical factor was the difference in tour leaders. Both Long and Brett not only really knew their tour routes, but also really seemed to really enjoy their time with the group. Tina, unfortunately, did not give that impression. Another critical factor was the attitude and actions of some of the participants. Phase 2c had the potential to go far worse than phase 2b, after all. Both had long days of travel, uncomfortable nights on sleeper trains, and stomach problems. But in one, they triggered problems; in the other, they were bonding experiences.

The tour wasn't by any means all bad - there were some excellent meals and conversations, activities we did, and locations that we saw. But as a unified whole, it wasn't so good. At the end of tour, I wrote a letter. It was written out in longhand on the fly, so the structure is imperfect and sections will be elliptical if you're not familiar with all the gory details (some information is also in previous entries - see Oil and Water in particular), but bear with me and I'll share some of them in later sections.


10: Dear Tina,

Firstly, I regret and apologise for any of my contributions to making the tour worse. Unfortunately once morale in a group starts to decline, it's very difficult to reverse the slide, and events which would (hopefully) be laughed off or shrugged off if morale were higher tend to cascade and increase.

I also realise that not every problem can be laid at your door - there is blame that can and should be apportioned to your company, Gecko's oversight of tour membership, possibly rules and restrictions on tour guides in China, and various members of the group. BUT (and it's a big "but"): A number of problems - even though not directly your fault or responsibility - would, I believe, have been mitigated or avoided if your tour leading had been more effective.

One principle of problem resolution is: if people complain about something there IS a problem that needs to be fixed. This may not be the problem that they're complaining about - quite often it won't be - but there is, nevertheless, a problem. Dismissing their complaints or saying "that's not my responsibility" is only guaranteed to make things worse.

As a tour leader, one of your roles is as a facilitator. In other words, you are there to ensure that things go as smoothly as possible. We realise that there are things you do not have the authority to do - things which only your company or Gecko's can authorise or change - BUT you are the representative of both your company and Gecko's. You are also, as tour leader, our representative TO your company and Gecko's. If and When there are problems you need to:
- Determine the real problem
- Show that you understand that there is a problem
- Come up with some ideas/strategies for fixing the problem - perhaps with the group
- Try and negotiate up your hierarchy about the problem/solution

And, most importantly:
- Keep everyone informed - even if nothing gets done.

Unfortunately, too often it seems that you have been content to be a transport and accomodation coordinator only. This is an active tour and promoted as such, and you not only avoid the active components, but in the case of Tiger Leaping Gorge seemed to work hard to dissuade all but the easiest trekking. Worse, your knowledge of locations is patchy. I realise that tour leaders cannot have in-depth knowledge of every place visited but certainly the basics are:
- Where is the exchange closest to the hotel, what can it change, and what hours.
- Where is a place to have early breakfast/24 hour restaurant if available.
- Where is a nearby (cheap) Internet (if rare in the location)
- Where is a cheapish laundry (if hotel prices are ridiculous, as quite often they are)
- Where are some good eateries, including for vegetarians - preferably with English menus
- What and where are some interesting but minor (ie: not heavily promoted) things to see and do.
- Provide participants with a map of the above - not everyone has a guidebook.

Scheduling has, as you know, been a major contribution to problems. Compounding this has been the lack of dayrooms, which are standard on other Gecko's tours. These may be the fault of your company or Gecko's. Compounding this, however, has been the number of poor meals/snacks that we've needed to have as a result of not being able to either have dinner before leaving, or having to transfer from one extended travelling duration to another. We could have broken for even half an hour in Dali after getting off the train; similarly in Wuhan on our way to Yang Shuo.

In the movie "Gosford Park", one of the characters says that the key attribute of a good servant is "Anticipation". The same, I believe, is true of a good tour leader - and I can only judge by my experience of Vietnam. Anticipation means not only having things booked well in advance, but also using part of your "free time" to expand your knowledge of places so that you can answer basic questions with confidence. It also means identifying and understanding problems before people complain about them - and preferably putting a solution into place, so that you can say "This is what I'm doing". By showing anticipation, you show that you care about the concerns of your tour participants. In the last few days, you have picked up more, but unfortunately it's rather late in the tour.

Anyway, I hope you will take these comments as constructive, and wish you more success in future tours,

Taro
PS: If people ask durations, rather than hedging, just say "About 4-6 hours, depending on traffic", etc. We know that exact figures are impossible to predict. Short statements will make you sound more confident.

Yes, I understand that there's a certain amount of irony in that what I've written about fundamentally concerns empathy and her lack of it, but if it doesn't come naturally, you can at least approximate/synthesise it if you try.


9: End Times

Much of the tour was strained to some degree or another, but breaking points had been reached, there was shouting and tears, a couple of people had a meeting with the local Gecko's rep to complain, and there was reportedly threats of a fistfight. The structure of the Gecko's tour, incidently, was different to the Intrepid one: Brett was employed directly, while Tina was employed through a local Chinese company and Long through a local Vietnamese company with oversight by Gecko's. I think that it helped that most on the Intrepid tour either were a backpacker, or had been one in the last couple of years.

Even the end of the tour was not without its moments, though. Climbing the Great Wall at Simatai, for instance, was a fantastic experience. The section was less well maintained than the section at Mutianyu, but that was ok because it felt more natural. Standing at the bottom, it looked absolutely daunting, but only the first climb from the second to the third watchtower was really hard going, and on reaching the final point (further travel was blocked off as that section of the wall was still unrestored) it felt like a reasonable achievement and the view was clear (which apparently it isn't always).


8: Trains

Those who were on the train from Beijing to Xian found it a great experience. Those on an identical train from Xian to Beijing didn't. Part of it was because we'd had so much train travel: Kunming to Dali, Dali to Kunming, Chongqing to Xian, and Xian to Beijing. Part of it was because three-berth sleeper trains are really uncomfortable - a couple of people ended up catching a plane to Beijing because of this. Part of it was because of scheduling. Part of it was because of the lack of dayrooms throughout the trip. And part of it was because morale was way way down at that point.


7: Scheduling

I'm not a particularly bad person, I believe - I don't torture kittens for fun; I do it for curiosity's sake - but I did cause one passenger to cry in Beijing. We'd come off the train from Xian in the morning rush, sleep on a sleeper train is poor sleep, and we were unlikely to get rooms until midday. "Well at least we'll have rooms by the time we get there", I said with what in retrospect was over-subtle irony, as I gazed at the hellishly long taxi queue that had exceeded its barricaded confines and coiled around the hall...

Scheduling was a problem because instead of leaving after dinner, we frequently left in the afternoon, which meant that not only were we eating a large number of snacks/junk food/non-meals, but we would arrive at awkward hours of the morning. For instance, we spent too little time in Chongqing, a city I really liked just for its very city-ness, because we had to leave for the station in the middle of the day. This meant that those who went to the zoo only had half an hour to see the pandas. We then arrived in Xian at 4:30am, where under normal circumstances we would have had to have hung around until mid-morning to get a room.


6: Dayrooms

A dayroom is simply a room that's been rented until the evening. They're not essential, but they do make life nicer, because it means that you can leave your bag there, have a lie down if you want, and - particularly important if you have overnight travel - allows you to have a shower before you leave. Dayrooms were standard on both the Vietnam leg of the Gecko's tour and the Intrepid tour, and passengers who'd taken other tours (including those run by Gecko's) said that every one they'd been on had dayrooms.

In Yang Shuo, people weren't particularly impressed with the suggestion that they could pay for a dayroom if they really wanted when there was a bike ride organised during the day and a train journey that night, but things were somewhat mitigated when the when the hotel allowed us to use the toilets in the lobby to shower in - the showers, by the way, were over squat toilets so wearing thongs was advisable. Matters really came to a boil at the Three Gorges Dam, however.


5: Three Gorges Incidents

The Three Gorges Dam, the largest dam in the world, now plugs the third gorge. A cruise normally starts at Yichang (or at least it used to), cruising upstream and getting from below the dam to above it through a series of locks, so you have a chance to see it reasonably close. On the train to Wuhan, we were told that instead we'd be catching a bus to above the Three Gorges Dam - indeed above the third gorge - and the boat would be leaving at 11ish at night. People were not impressed by this change in schedule. Nor were they impressed with the prospect of no dayrooms, needing to hang around and do nothing until we could board the boat at about 10pm as the driver was to drop us off earlier, not seeing the Largest Dam In The World at all unless they were willing to pay a couple of hundred yuan (about A$35) for a bus + dam tour, and not having a cooked dinner - Tina advised against both food from places in the area upstream, and food on the boat.

The dayrooms and the bus and dam tour? Ah, now there's another saga. Coming off the overnight train at Wuhan, we carried our bags to the bus station ten minutes away and hopped on a five-hour bus to Yichang without even time to have breakfast. This didn't leave people in a particularly good mood. The news we'd received about the change in schedule made people crosser - the Three Gorges and their dam were one of the selling points of the tour. Compounding this was the fact that Tina appeared to not only not understand why people were upset about the schedule changes and lack of dayrooms, but kept saying that it there was nothing she could do, that it wasn't her job, and that if people wanted to they could talk to her boss or Gecko's because she couldn't. A call was made to Gecko's in Melbourne.

The end result was that the cost of the bus to the Three Gorges Dam was covered, most of the passengers paid a hundred and something for the Dam tour + guide, and Sue and I saw the project area, were given dayrooms (which I didn't use, so that was a waste), and had ice cream for afternoon tea. The bus came and picked us up, and because it was late afternoon we ended up seeing the dam anyway, at a distance not too dissimilar from that which passengers on previous cruises had seen it. The boat was boardable at dusk, and we did. The food on the boat was perfectly edible, even if they did like their fried peanuts, so I ate it. Quite a few of the group, however, had prepared food for the entirety of the trip - and so didn't eat the meals because of that.

The other key incident - and I don't believe I'm particularly evil; I'm just written that way - is that one of the passengers quit the tour. It all started with Margie, who was hopeless with names. We'd been travelling for weeks at that point, and she still had trouble with mine. I'd tried "Just think of the cards", and that had brought no joy. At one point she'd called me "Toejam" - the word had just been used in a conversation. So those of us who were eating cooked meals aboard were sitting round the dinner table, and discussing this - I'd mentioned that I was running out of incorrect names to call her - Maud, Mindy, Mavis... you run out of them quickly if you're trying to avoid repetition - and after some discussion, we ended up with the highly incorrect "Merkin" and "Minge". At that point Daniel said to Terry something along the lines of "And what about you... Terrence", and I said "No, it's not TERrence" (he'd said not to call him it way back at the start of tour, and I'd thought little of it since then), "It's terRENCE". At that point he left the table, locked himself in the cabin he shared with Dan, and shortly thereafter moved in with X. At Chongqing he left the tour. There was, it seems, a rationale for not wanting to be called Terrence, but I didn't know about it at the time, and I Don't Read Minds. Mea culpa. Mea minima culpa.


4: In Another Gorge

Tiger Leaping Gorge was probably the highlight of the Tour. I've written elsewhere about the bus breakdown on the way there, and the truck ride we took instead, but that was actually very good for group dynamics. On our first day, the walk was almost all along cliffside road. On the morning of the second day, we walked down the trail from our guesthouse to Middle Tiger Leaping Gorge to admire Middle Tiger Leaping Stone and the churning Yangtze river close up, before ascending on the short but difficult laddered route. After lunch we hiked the high trail to another guest house. On the third day, some of us continued on the high trail up and over and down through the twenty-four bends back to the village of Shangri La. The others took the shorter walk down - they'd be picked up and driven back to Shangri La. Tina wanted us all to go down, and said that the high trail wasn't worth doing and there wasn't much to see. There was: high forest, the only wild bamboo I saw in China, the river far far below, clouds drifting slowly upwards beside the path, and the cliffs of the mountain opposite. It was the most scenic of the three days (though the second was also very good), and consequently my favourite.


3: Contagion

There was a major run of the runs. Three of the tour stayed in Li Jiang (two of whom were only doing the Kunming-Kunming loop, and for whom Tiger Leaping Gorge was the focus of their tour), at least three of those who went on the trek (including myself) were affected, and others had been sick earlier but were Loperamiding their bowels into immobility. The epidemic was almost certainly the fault of X, going back as far as the bus ride from Lao Cai to Kunming on our first day in China.

We'd stopped at a small roadside shop, and he'd picked up the running hose that they'd been using to wash the bus off the ground, had a good drink, and then filled up his bottle. That was the stop, by the way, with the first disgusting introduction to Chinese longdrop toilets, and it's a reasonable supposition to believe that the same hose had been used to clean them. So even if the water was uncontaminated - and that's a big if - the hose was a definite worry. It wasn't unexpected that he came down with a bad case of travellers diarrhoea.

If you eat Chinese style, it's standard for everybody to use their chopsticks to get food from platters. After X. reported sick we started requesting individual serving spoons, but it was probably a little late by then. He wasn't careful or considerate with his illness, either: There were two occasions that I'm aware of, and probably more, where he left squat toilets absolutely painted, with no attempt to clean up after himself. Noone was impressed, and since this was early days on the tour, in combination with his other behaviour, it really played a big part in bringing people's enjoyment of the tour down (it was a factor in many of the passengers moving to another hotel in Li Jiang).


2: Facts and Figures

If this had been Tina's first time running the tour, there would have been a lot more understanding, I think, but she'd run this particular tour four times before (and had been to some of the locations on other tours). There were, as implied by my letter, a bunch of minor things that she should have known as a tour leader for a tour on the budget end of the spectrum - the contrast between the nature, quantity, and quality of information we got for Xian on the two tours was marked.

Whether or not she gave incorrect information deliberately or carelessly or ignorantly, I don't know; I've mentioned, for instance, her assessment of day three of the trek. Another instance: While most of the group were flashpackers, Dan and I were on budgets and a RMB200 tour of the Li river would have broken it. We therefore decided that we would try to do it ourselves but Tina told us there were no buses to the boat location. There were, and we did the day for about RMB120, which was more affordable. The Er Hai lake tour was disappointing for the price (she'd strongly pushed for hiring a private boat, which wasn't entirely private) and content (the best bit was at the end of the day in the town of Xi Zhou, mentioned elsewhere). A number of people strongly suspected that someone somewhere was skimming/skimping - although the only direct evidence I have is that the cost of the Martial Arts show was near half the price on the Intrepid tour than the Gecko's.


1: Early Times

Even at the first group meeting in Kunming there was a certain strain. Tina's discourse style tended to be on the hectoring side, and a couple of people who were late to the meeting got a lecturing. In addition, four of us had had two days' travel with X. behaving insanely, so our nerves were a bit frazzled. We'd had a thirteen hour bus ride from the border town of Lao Cai, having been accompanied by Long on the overnight train from Hanoi. We said goodbye to Long there (he was about to return all the way back to Hanoi on the day train as he'd another tour to lead soon) and crossed the border where, we met Tina.


0: Start of phase 2b (Hanoi to Beijing)

Tags: General

About taroso


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.