Existing Member?

Taro's Travels

Tibet: Art, Religion, Politics

NEPAL | Sunday, 5 November 2006 | Views [2522] | Comments [1]

Sacred Art

Buddhism has a large cosmology, with its six realms (inhabited by humans, animals, demons, hungry ghosts, demi-gods, and gods), buddhas (past, present, and future) and boddhisatvas, though whether they're viewed as genuine entities, or as conceptual aspects depends on the practitioner, I believe. Statues and murals in Tibetan monasteries reflect such diversity.

Mandalas are a circular two-dimensional representation of an imaginary three-dimensional structure, the image of which is to be meditated on. We saw a few three-dimensional models at different places, including a couple made from dyed butter (rare). There are colour mandalas, too which look like paint swatches and provide a more abstract meditative aid.

There are also the eight auspicious symbols - conch shell, lotus blossom, eight-spoked wheel, parasol, endless knot, pair of fishes, banner, and vase - and within one design, elements of the others will be seen. As the collection, they appear primarily displayed outside monastery buildings, but they also appear in statues and artwork. Some Tibetan women wear a conch shell around their wrist as a bracelet. Swastikas - a cruciform representation of the wheel of dharma appear in decorations -- incidently, the image of the hexagram (Star of David) is also used but for educational bodies, generally with a book and/or lamp in its centre.

Thangkas are more a medium than a religious art form, I think - it looks like you get the same pictures in murals, but thangkas are painted on canvas/cloth, and so are rollable. Monasteries' thangkas may be multi-storied in height, only to be unrolled and displayed at special locations at particular times of the year. Individuals will have smaller thangkas. Pretty much every component of a thangka is formalised, from the choice of colours, to the figures and what they are wearing. It's mathematical in its precision, with exact ratios and specific postures for figures to be in. Before a thangka is painted, drafting lines are pencilled in, then the specifics of the entire piece are added.

Japp's friend Shashi is a thangka painter; they met in Holland through Japp's aunt when Shashi came over to exhibit/lecture. He teaches at the Tsering Art School at Shechen monastery near Bodhnath in Kathmandu, and has a small room where he and his two assistants produce Thangkas. I asked him what individual creativity a thangka artist was allowed, and he told me that he had some flexibility in producing backgrounds. A genuine thangka takes about a month of labour to produce. Unfortunately the artists who make them are in competition with those who only imitate the form of the thangka; a lookalike can be completed much quicker because the time required for layout and preparation is cut. It takes five years to apprentice as a thangka painter - there's not only the technique to learn, but also all the symbols, postures, and ratios to memorise. I admire the skill, but unfortunately - as art - it's not for me.

Some of us visited the traditional medicine hospital in Lhasa, where we were shown medicine thangkas. Tibetan medicine, is partially religious in nature, and uses thangkas as reference works for diagnosis and healing. Much of it sounded fairly medieval - they've all kinds of instruments for blood letting, prayer and meditation is used, and urinalysis includes the doctor tasting it. Jeff, who'd done a year of medicine before he went on to more sleep-friendly studies, was not quite impressed.


Topics for the Dinner Table

It's obvious just how fungible reality is when you compare things from the perspective of the Chinese Government and the Tibetan Government in Exile. The realities they lay out are as different as white and black. In one, Tibet is a land full of happy frolicking people liberated from the yoke of serfdom, in the other, life has rarely been worse for the Tibetans suffering under the yoke of colonial invaders dedicated to stamping out all things Tibetan. With the limited information I have, the truth appears to be one of those awkward shades of grey.

Long ago, the Tibetans were ruled by and/or politically connected to the Mongols -- "Dalai" is Mongolian for "ocean", and the title "Dalai Lama" was bestowed by a Mongol Leader in the mid-16th century, well after the start of Tibetan Buddhism. Owing to the one-time Mongol unification of Mongolia/China/Tibet and later suzerainty or sovereignty by China over Tibet, the Chinese now justify sovereignty over Tibet. If you'd like a minor complicating factor, when Nepal invaded Tibet a couple of centuries back, China kicked them out and obtained tribute for over a hundred years. Further complicating the whole mess is the fact that the "Greater Tibet" claimed by the Tibetan Government in Exile is about double the size of what is now the Tibetan Autonomous Region - an area that while having an ethnic Tibetan majority was never in its entirety ruled by the current Dalai Lama. And there are perhaps strategic reasons for holding Tibet, too: many of the region's major rivers originate there - Mount Kailash is the source of four - and it's been argued that water is the major reason many of the wars of this century will really be (and in some cases have been) fought.

And the historical boundaries of territory is one of those nasty grey areas; just look at the changes in Europe since the mid-16th century. For that matter, just look at the changes in Europe since the mid-20th century -- or 1990, for that matter. Should the fact that X percentage of Tibetans want independence from China matter? Should the fact that X percentage of Kurds want independence from Turkey/Iraq or Y percentage of the Northern Irish want independence from Britain or Z percentage of Basques want independence from Spain matter? There are independence movements all over. Is there a minimum percent? And how consistent should one be in supporting claims, whether historical or ethnogeographic - if, indeed, one should? England used to belong to well... lots of places, Texas used to be part of Mexico, much of Vietnam used to belong to the Cambodians, Egypt belonged to Macedonia (Greece, not Yugoslavia), etc., and in the mid-16th century there wasn't a European or Asian on the east coast of Australia. I don't have an answer, sorry, but I am very happy being Australian and living in Australia.

Nepal has a lot of Tibetans living here. When the Dalai Lama fled in 1959, so did a hundred thousand other Tibetans, more have fled since, and many of them didn't travel as far as he did. There's a large population in Kathmandu, but a far more visible population in and around Pokhara, where they try to sell handicrafts to any and all. Apparently many of the souvenirs in Tibet are imported from Nepal. They are still refugees - the daughter of one exile told me that even though she was born in Nepal, she couldn't get a Nepali Passport. I wonder, though, how the Tibet of pre-Chinese 1948 aligns with the memory of those few adults and adolescents who were alive then, or even how the Tibet of 1959 aligns with the memory of adults and adolescents who were not of privileged castes.

"All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?" - from Monty Python's Life of Brian

I know that the Chinese have been for much of their rule been bad for many Tibetans. There have been a lot of Tibetans killed and arrested. Numbers are fuzzy and up for a lot of debate - the Tibetan Government in Exile claims 1.2 million, but consensus is that the figure is unhelpfully exaggerated but still in the hundreds of thousands. There are still Tibetans being arrested or killed. An influx of other ethnicities has occurred. There's been repression and religious persecution and censorship. And yet, I don't know - balance of evils - if the Tibetan populace is worse or better off since 1948, and if so by how much. Mortality rates have dropped, education has climbed, and monks now have the benefit of cell phones, cigarettes, and computers.

Life expectancy used to be woeful, not helped by a hideous infant mortality rate. It's still not great, comparatively speaking, but it's much better than it was. Education rates are far better than they were. Penn and Teller, by the way, did a scathing segment on life in Tibet under the Dalai Lamas on their show Bullsh*t. When the Dalai Lama still ruled Tibet, it did, it seem, have slavery/serfdom. As a republican and an atheist, I find the combination of feudal monarchy and theocracy an ugly one, though god-kings probably find the combination of republicanism and atheism ugly too. And the benefits of traditional culture versus colonialism vs savagery (noble or otherwise) vs progress is a longstanding and worldwide debate. I'm not sure that life for nomadic Tibetans is worse now than in 1948.

You can't even say that life has never been worse for Dalai Lamas than under Chinese Rule. Of the fourteen Dalai Lamas, five out of thirteen died before the age of twenty-five, three of them before achieving their majority. It's probable that some, if not all, were murdered. There's nasty internal politics going on with the Gelugpa sect, too - in recent years a schism between the Dalai Lama and his followers and those who worship Shugden has arisen and monks have been murdered. China has meddled, too. In particular, when the 10th Panchen Lama died, the 11th was announced by the Dalai Lama. This boy was unacceptable to the Chinese government, and the monk who selected the boy was arrested, the boy and his family were taken into 'protective custody', a new round of lots were shaken and drawn. As a result a Chinese approved Panchen Lama instated. Not that Chinese interference is needed - there are two rival candidates as Karmapa Lama of the Kagyupa sect. It's all very Holy Roman Empire with its popes and antipopes, and would be a little less theologically problematic if the High Lamas of the Gelugpa and Kagyupa sects didn't reincarnate. The Sakyapa sect's lineage is done by heredity instead.

But there are arrests and repression and just recently what appears to be the cold-blooded murder of unarmed civilians by troops. Tibetans who flee to Dharamsala in India and then return to Tibet face not only arrest, but difficulty in getting employment once they return. And there's censorship. There are websites unaccessible from China; the BBC was one, and Wikipedia was only unblocked while we were in the TAR. Just as the Great Wall of China failed to keep the barbarians from invading - twice it failed catastrophically allowing them to take over - so the Great Firewall of China fails to stop news from coming in. There are proxy servers and minor websites and news aggregators and a myriad of other ways for information to filter in.

And, as a tourist, it's the atmosphere of repression that's a bad thing - you watch what you write and particularly what you say. There were security cameras and (reportedly) hidden microphones in various places. There may have been fake monks, informers, and agents provocateur. Rumours swirled about a foreign tour group that was arrested at Shigatse's Tashilumpo Monastery after the tour leader told his group about the Panchen Lama controversy. I can't find a source for it - who knows, it may just be a legend - but it was feasible, and that's enough. That's probably why the topics of choice at our dinner table seemed to invariably end up being scatological, and that's no Bullsh*t.


Some source material:

The 1911 Encyclopedia Brittanica entry written before Tibet's period of de-facto independence (highly recommended)
An Atlantic Monthly article on Tibet through Chinese Eyes
A counter-view on repression in Tibet
UN stats (the data sources may be biased, particularly for the early figures, though)
Wikipedia's Entry (like all wikipedia articles take with buckets of salt)
A counter-view on Tibet (with some more links down the bottom)
Background and analysis of the Shugden controversy
Open letter from Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, the founder of the breakaway NKT sect/organisation
A decade-old Tibet FAQ (much of the information may be out of date)


Sacred Sites

One night as we sat around, C. railed against corruption in the monasteries. He'd been a monk for a couple of weeks, and was currently alcoholised and angry; luxuriously soft beds, mobile phones, the exploitation of nomads who made barely anything a year, and fat monks were his targets.

I've alluded elsewhere to the cash-centrism in Tibetan temples, and his rant - from what I saw - seemed at least reasonable. Few places felt sacred; many of them just felt crowded and oldish, and some just felt crowded. In addition to a few minor locations - a couple of hill-side nunneries and hermitages, and a few small back-street temples - the complexes that seemed to me to retain a real sense of the sacred were Pabonka, parts of Samye, and Sakya.

Pabonka, west of Sera Monastery, is possibly the oldest monastery in Lhasa; there's some debate as to whether it or the Jokhang is older. We visited it as part of our stroll up the mountain. It was a quiet but welcoming place, which few temples seem to be, and the monk stationed at the main temple was happy to show us around - the carefully-painted murals, the statues of bodhisattvas and lamas, and the main relic of Pabonka: a stone carving of "om mani padme hum", supposedly the oldest in existence. Outside and up some stairs is a small shrine in a walled-off cavelet, its ceiling low and sloping. On top of the rock is built the monastery proper; when we were there, the monks were busy chanting in the cramped chapel on its upper floor. There's a nunnery up the hill that's worth a visit, too. It has a sacred well/spring in a walled-off grotto barely large enough for use to stand in.

Samye was where the first monastery in Tibet was built. We stayed in a fairly rudimentary hotel built within the monastery grounds. Adjacent to the the hotel is the main building, which was damaged during the Cultural Revolution but renovated some years back. It contains a temple as well as some minor chapels and shrines; there's one that you access from the main room by crawling through a hatch in a panel and climbing up a ladder. I walked the khora (a circuit round a sacred site) around the outskirts of the grounds, spinning the prayer wheels and ducking into the outbuildings, each of which had one or more shrines. I actually found I preferred some of the outbuildings to the main building -- go figure.

Sakya was the last of the major monasteries that we visited. Although there were many older places that we visited, Sakya felt the most ancient. Its walls were roughly plastered with a section that had crumbled away under repair, its ground was uneven, and its arrangement of prayer wheels odd: just as Buddhist swastikas are clockwise in rotation, so Tibetan Buddhists walk their khoras widdershins, spinning prayer wheels with their right hand. At Sakya, however, there were prayer wheels placed so that they could only be spun with the left hand unless you were walking the khora deosil, which is done only by Bon practitioners. It was lunch, so the Sakya buildings were closed and we didn't go inside, but there was one chapel with a skull on the door, and interesting decorations hanging from the roof of the porch: motheaten stuffed wolves, vultures, and other predators.

I was not alone, might I add, in finding a number of the holy sites we visited to be little more than buildings, though some also really liked the Jokhang. The Jokhang is the central temple in old Lhasa. It's large and ancient, and devout pilgrims prostrate themselves before it, around it, and in it. For me, it's not the Jokhang but the Barkhor around it that I like. The Barkhor is in many ways just a market area, with stalls on stone cobblestones, but because it surrounds the Jokhang there's one-way foot-traffic around it, and signs to streets running off it are labelled as exits. At dusk, when it's time for evening prayers, a flow of Buddhists and others walk khoras around it.

Tibetan Buddhism is heavily influenced by the pre-Buddhist shamanistic Bon religion, the Bon religion is traditionally a sky-centric religion, and more than walled spaces and enclosed candle-lit buildings, it is the high barren places which retain the most magic. White stupas sit on hilltops smothered in a tangle of prayer flags. Every time a prayer flag flutters, it sends a prayer. Prayer flags - yellow, green, red, white, blue, over and over - are strung over passes, and over gullies above Pabonka, too. From sufficient distance with their colour bleached it looks as though some gigantic spider has webbed the crevices of the mountain. White scarves, "kotas", are thrown at holy statues and stupas, or tied to prayer flags where they too can flutter. Where many traverse the high places, a litter of prayers on squares of paper coat the ground - stacks of "wind horses" that have been tossed in the breeze. In death, Tibetans are neither cremated nor inhumed. Instead, they undergo "sky burial", where their corpses are taken up-mountain and prepared for the vultures to strip. [Incidently, Colin, Japp, Jeff and Liz, who had been attempting to reach the top of the mountain behind Sera the same day we did the less-strenuous mid-mountain path up from Pabonka, had to turn back when they were hundreds of vultures who had turned up for a sky burial gathered and started swooping].

Tags: General

Comments

1

Hello Taro
My name is Sarah French and I just wanted to congratulate you on such a comprehensive and inspiring journal.
I have recently returned from overseas so it was great to be on the other end of a travel journal.

I have recently registered to do the Trek for Tibet 08. A fundraising trip to India to trek through the Himalaya's and raise funds for the Australian Tibet Council... As part of the fundraising I am organising an Art Auction involving performance, photography and painting. I'm really inspired by your entry and would love to discuss with you the possibilty of you being involved somehow.

Thank you very much for your time and I look forward to hearing from you soon. I can be contacted on 0404056393 or at wheres_sarah@hotmail.com

Thank you once again

  Sarah French Apr 13, 2008 6:21 PM

About taroso


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.