Existing Member?

Taro's Travels

Angkor: The Geometry of Computer Games

CAMBODIA | Thursday, 3 August 2006 | Views [1507]

Banteay Samre, 15 km north of the main Angkorian clusters, consists of a central temple on a stone island, surrounded by a (now grassy) moat, in turn surrounded by a square high wall, surrounded by a walkway a couple of metres wide, surrounded by another high wall. At the middle of each side of the square the walkway is interrupted by doorways. The central temple is small, dim, and gothic - almost crypt-like. The end chamber in this temple is in darkness. The entire thing was deserted. The wall on the inner moat has pillared windows - more pillar than window. There are blocked up passageways and windows in the outer wall. It reminded me strongly of Doom.

Did you ever play "Doom"? Perhaps you don't play games in the first-person shooter genre, perhaps it's too old, or perhaps you don't play computer games at all, but despite its technical limitations it and Doom2 remain enjoyable games a decade and more after release. If you were lucky, you missed the movie.

While modern FPS engines are often 3D -- in other words, they can cope with multiple levels such as floors in a building, bridges, and tunnels, -- most early FPS including Doom could not. They are thus known as "2.5D games", because they provided a 3D perspective, but not a truly 3D world. The maps for such games can be defined in two dimensions provided that the height of floors and ceilings are also defined. Angkorian architecture has generally similar limitations - there is slight overhang on ledges, but only only Preah Khan has a truly two-level structure, and the appearance of this is unusual.

Not all Angkorian temples resemble Doom levels - many of the larger ones consist of three-tiered pyramids topped by a quincunx of beehive temples - a large central one and four smaller ones at the corners of the top tier. Others are single beehives or a series of them, and again there's no resemblance. Angkor Wat, on the other hand, though incorporating the beehive look, is all pillars, pits, walkways and courtyards. I first approached it from the quieter Eastern entrance. It screamed "Trap". While I doubt any deliberateness in the resemblance of some Doom levels to Angkorian architecture (there were other examples - passageways with sequential "doorways", multiple gothic temples at Thommanon and Banteay Srei), I found them interesting as examples of convergent design.

There are resemblences of Angkorian places to other games, but these are less accidental. For instance, Neak Pean is a cross of four smaller square pools surrounding a centralsquare pool. The pools were dryish, and grassy-bottomed. The place had an arena-like feel and would have fitted quite easily into Shadow of the Colossus. And unsurprisingly, there's a Tomb Raider levels based on Ta Prohm since part of the movie was filmed there.

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time - Bertrand Russell

Tags: General

About taroso


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.