Existing Member?

Parisian secret

Le Zero de Conduite

FRANCE | Tuesday, 28 April 2015 | Views [140] | Scholarship Entry

I wrapped my coat tighter as I stumbled along the dimly lit Rue Jacob. A nightcap perhaps? It's never too difficult to find a place to grab a quick drink in Paris.
I almost walked past the unremarkable black painted shop front but the word Bar on the window caught my attention. Shall we try here? The icy winter air was biting so we went in.
We were greeted by small wooden benches, tables surrounded by corrugated walls. Familiar colourful characters decorated the tiny room. Recognition, I have heard about this place. 'Bonsoir, have you booked?' the voice of a beaming man heading towards us.
We were in luck; there was one table still empty next to the humble bar.
Guided the few steps it took to the back of the room we were seated and provided with our cocktail menus. 'Do you know how this works?' the cheerful bartender asked. I thought I knew how to order a drink, but apparently not here!
So he explained. Choose a cocktail from the menu of cartoons and concoctions. Then to order draw the cartoon character on your little personal order board. Oh and then your cocktail comes in a baby bottle. (Yes an actual baby bottle). I’ve never had so much fun ordering drinks and the staff enjoyed critiquing our artwork.
Quirky is a word invented to describe this place. Mickey Mouse, Asterix and Wylie coyote peer on as guests suck on their bottles and play board games. Our colourful drinks were served in flower patterned bottles. Drinking took some getting used to but at least we couldn't drink too fast!
A group of friends walk in, smiling, animated, and communicating with their hands. They order their drinks as regulars, drawing on their boards. No difficulty here, how perfect!
A few games of connect 4 later and it was time for another drink. No drawing this time, no for a second drink you act out your character. Not too taxing, I chose carefully and decided I would make a great Mary Poppins. Up went my umbrella and I floated away.
Around the room customers were enjoying themselves, surreal to see so many adults drinking from baby bottles and playing games surrounded by cartoons.
Unfortunately it was time to leave. A quick nightcap had turned into a few cocktails. Baby bottles in hand, a memento of the evening, we said goodbye and braved the cold Paris air.
Sometimes you just need to let go and embrace your inner child. What better place than in the centre of the most sophisticated city on earth.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About tara_bruton


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.