Existing Member?

Larkabout 2009 The Larkin's World "Tantrum" tour 2008/2009.

Darwin

MALAYSIA | Sunday, 25 January 2009 | Views [558]

We sailed almost all the way to Darwin (this is significant as we basically haven’t had any wind since the day before we arrived there – that day was so calm we stopped the boat and the boys jumped in for a quick swim) and got in about 2am Monday 27 Oct. Darwin was very hot and smaller than I thought. I had assumed that it was about the size – population and sprawliness – of Cairns. We did Darwin tourist stuff for a while – it was actually quite difficult to find something to do that didn’t involve crocodiles - and spent part of most evenings at the Sailing Club at Fanny Bay as it had a) showers b) cold beer and c) cheap fried rice . We can also highly recommend the new Coen Bros movie Burn after Reading, and to a slightly lesser extent Russell Crowe and Leonardo DiCaprio in Body of Lies (particularly Crowe’s line “ you’ve gotta work out which side of the Cross you’re on, son, we need nailers, not hangers”). As you may have gathered, Darwin has pleasant, thoroughly airconditioned movie theatres. Two other points of interest : the Woolworths in Darwin is the same size as the one in Mission Beach (or vice versa); and you can buy cask wine before 4pm in Darwin – you just have to sign for it, and tell the people in the bottle shop where you are going to drink it. They were not particularly amused when I said that I thought the park next to the library looked nice.  We left Tues 4 Nov, and we had had a really nice time.

Tags: darwin woolworths cairns

About tantrum


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.