Existing Member?

Larkabout 2009 The Larkin's World "Tantrum" tour 2008/2009.

Moments from first watch Thurs 27th night

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 27 November 2008 | Views [344]

Our sail last night started in a spectacular fashion, both the coasts to the left and right of us were subject to successive percussive lightning strikes and looked nothing less than that they were being bombed.

We noticed on our way past the east coast of Bali that each of the beaches we passed were completely covered by what looked like carelessly flung white sticks but on closer inspection (Minolta 7 x 50) were small outrigger fishing canoes, lots of canoes, sometimes 3 and 4 deep on the beach, beaches which would have been easily 500m and 1 km long, one after the other after the other. Who knew that so many fishermen lived in each and every coastal village? Who knew that so many fishermen didn’t work on Sundays?
We went with Mickey, among other places, to an extensive Temple complex on top of the hill overlooking the volcano. The people there, the vendors, were the only people we were to meet on Bali who were pinched looking and unhappy and pushy. We wondered whether it was to do with living in the shadow of a large recently active volcano. Maybe they were just pissed off because I didn’t buy any postcards.

Tags: bali minolta mickey temple volcano

About tantrum


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.