Existing Member?

My Travel Experiences Wonderful collection of unforgettable travel moments and experiences

A Perfect Weekend Hideaway in Corbett National Park

INDIA | Monday, 18 August 2014 | Views [238]

Those were moderately chilly days of March; I was really bored of my humdrum routine which served the same every day. Hectic office schedule and noisy roads are all that people encounter everyday in metros. I was in serious need of a break from this bustle and thus I decided to plan a vacation to a place where I can savor the tranquility of mind and soul. Along with being an aficionado of exploring wilderness, I am a freak of capturing nature and wilds in my camera as well.

Choosing Corbett as a weekend destination

The quench for a serene and wilderness-packed place for my vacation took me to Corbett, as most of my friends who had been there gave me the positive word about this woodland. It is the first national park of India to come under the Project Tiger. I also came to know that jungle safari is the best way to explore the verdant beauty of this park and seize these vistas in a convenient and safe way in my camera. Thus, it can be said that Corbett is a matchless destination to plan a weekend trip. Moreover, it was a great time to go there as mid-November to mid-June is the perfect time to visit Corbett National Park.

Reservation in prior is essential

I pre-reserved a jeep safari and an accommodation in Corbett, since there is a need of prior booking for both of them. On the day of my journey, I packed my rucksack and reached New Delhi station to catch my train. I left my train at Ramnagar Station, which is the nearest railhead from Corbett. It is around 12 kilometers from Ramnagar Railway Station to Corbett.

Taking Accommodation in Corbett

After reaching Corbett, I took my accommodation at Dhikala Forest Lodge. One thing that should be mentioned here is that there are total four zones in Corbett- Jhirna, Dhikala, Bijrani and Durgadevi. Among these, Dhikala is the most frequented by the tourists. In addition, there are certain benefits that a tourist can get by booking an accommodation within the periphery of Corbett. Most importantly, jungle safari inside the Dhikala zone is allowed to only those tourists who are staying inside the zone. Others can scout the buffer zones only.

It’s smart to do safari in the morning

It was a fresh and rejuvenating morning. After taking breakfast, I proceeded to carry out the jeep safari. I chose morning, as it is the best time to witness a tiger, especially from 6 AM to 7 AM. 

The jeep took us to the deepest areas of the jungles in Corbett. Believe me the sights were something that is beyond description. Every nook and corner of the jungle offered some of the most spectacular vistas that can bind a nature lover’s mind in no time. The flora of the park was extremely lush with an exotic range of foliage. The date palm trees were catering the perfect settings for a photographer inside me. Its fauna wonderfully complemented the greenery of the park.

Coming across the exotic wildlife of the park

The exotic wildlife species that I came across while scouting the area were leopards, fishing cats, deer and many more. On the lower areas of the park, I witnessed fascinating sights of sloth bear and black bear. However, suddenly my eyes saw something that I had always craved for. Yes! It was the regal big cat- A TIGER! My eyes were stuck on that beast. The guide stopped the jeep at a safe distance from the tiger so that we can relish the sight and can click a picture of it. This isn’t enough, it is imperative to mention that Corbett is also known for its elephant population. Elephant safari is a renowned mode of exploring woods here.

After exploring the jungles for about two and half hours on a jeep, I returned to my lodge. It was a thrilling experience that I had on my safari. After such a trip, I felt concordant with all who say that watching tigers in Corbett is an exclusive fun! 

 

About tanmay

Tanmay

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.