Existing Member?

The big trip

Tibet

CHINA | Monday, 5 February 2007 | Views [792] | Comments [2]

I must say this at the start of every journal entry but Tibet is really amazing- so far, we have only been in Lhasa for a day:)

I know I say this every entry as well, but...the scenery on the train trip up here was awesome! Unfortunately our camera's battery died and the pictures we have are pretty lame and in no way depict the overwhelming beauty and expanse of the Tibetan landscape. Once the train enters Tibet, it passes through protected reserves and you sees herds of yaks (my favourite), gazelles, donkeys and sheep roaming this country side that has nothing on it but fierce looking mountains iced with snow and plateues ( I really wich I could spell that word) covered in this mossy grass that the yaks really seem to like. The train went through some areas where the altitude was over 5000 metres above sea level ( it is apparently the highest train trip in the world). Here the train would be passing through a relatively flat areas but in the distance you could see the peaks of snow covered mountains barely reached our horizon level!

One more thing about the train trip - we were definately everyone else's entertainment. There were few- if any other westerners on the train and Anthony especially was gawked at throughout the train trip. Little kids would repeatedly run past our cabin and one lady had to take photos with us both. We have also had a few knocks on our hotel door in Lhasa last night. People would claim 'oh sorry wrong room', giggle and rush away.

Lhasa, though only 3000 metres above seas level, has left us feeling the effects of Altitude sickness. We didn't feel ill on the train as extra oxygen pumped though the cabins when we reach the higher altitudes. This has limited what we have seen of Lhasa so far as we both feel pretty rotten. The walk around the town we took this morning left us head achey, exhausted and very nausious. There is nothing you can really do about it nut rest and drink nlots of water. We are hoping it will wear off by tomorrow.

Lhasa, what we have seen of it seems to be divided into the Tibetan area and Chinese area. The Tibetan area has a similar feel to Mongolia. We walked around the Barkhor markets - which surrounds the Jankhong Temple and is visited by pilgrims more than tourists. Here you can see them praying outside the temple and walking their pilgrim route. The markets (in this area)themselves are aimed at the pilgrims and are full of wonderfully bright coloured beads and scarves and other objects that I have no idea what they are for!

Any way off to work out the next leg of out trip. We can't do much else.

take care

tanya

Tags: adventures, lhasa, tibet

Comments

1

Hi Tanya,
Question for you. Did you have any trouble getting a visa for Tibet. I hear the rules keep changing from time to time. I am traveling alone so I wonder if it will be hard for me. Where did you take the train from. I am wondering if I can pick it up in Chengdu or not. Just curious. Thank you so much for your information. Have a great time. I have dimox for altitude sickness.

  Dave Mar 21, 2007 5:22 AM

2

Hi,
I'm a Chinese lady from Malaysia and i'm planning a trip to Tibet on 30thMay 2007.I will be with a group of 40 prigrim.. Buddish.Can you advise me of the proper clothing and precautions.Thks

  jeanniehan May 14, 2007 9:28 PM

About tana


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.