Existing Member?

The big trip

St Petersburg

RUSSIAN FEDERATION | Thursday, 11 January 2007 | Views [546] | Comments [1]

After 6 days in St Petersburg we are off to Moscow.

Petersburg is a beautiful city. Everything about it is on a grand scale. Grand ornate buildings that are on grand wide roads that should only belong on freeways and can be a bit tircky to cross; large canals and the Neva river that carve though the city. The longer we stayed here more the I like this city.

Initially, St Petersburg was a bit of an anti- climax. The guide books were full of warnings, especially when dealing with the border police, that we were both anxious and excited about entering Russia. In particular we thought that this would be the fisrt city that we couldn't relay on speaking English to communicate with people. Well, it wasn't the case, at least for us. St Petersburg is a very westernised city both in looks and culture. Everyone, from the border Police to people on the street have been very friendly and helpful. Every second person seems to speak English and if they don't, they will find someone who can. 

We have done all the sites and in particular, The Hermitage was impressive. An art gallery situated within the walls of Catherine the Great's winter palace,even if you don't like the art work, you will be impressed by the beauty of the rooms. 

All on all st Petersburg is a beautiful city . I've run out of time again and I have so much more to say. Hope everyone is well. love tan.

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

I’m a fan of St. Petersburg, and I’m very glad when I meet people (even if via the i-net) who share my affection for this city! I’m glad you enjoyed it!!

  AngieN Apr 25, 2007 5:59 PM

About tana


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Russian Federation

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.