Existing Member?

Incense for the Senses

Lama Temple

CHINA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [210] | Scholarship Entry

Once I breathed in the sweet, woody aroma, I knew I had arrived. The vendors lined the streets with smiles on their faces and stalls packed full of incense together with an array of bronze statues and other Tibetan paraphernalia.

I rounded the corner and strolled through the gates where the serenity hit me in waves. It was my first visit to the Lama Temple, or the Yong hé gong as the locals know it, and I went in with no expectations. I thought it would be just another crowded tourist attraction in one of the world’s most populous cities. I was wrong.

I walked down the path, under a thick blanket of overgrown trees that had just begun shedding their leaves. The workers swept the first signs of autumn away with their makeshift brooms. They worked slowly, the fast paced lifestyle left at the gates. There was no need to hurry here.

If you have time to visit one temple in China, this has to be it. Being the only Tibetan temple on the mainland I sensed the authenticity straight away. The monk’s who walked the grounds reminded me that this was a place of worship, not just another tourist spot. I tucked my camera under my arm and took in my surroundings.

I admired the buildings that dated back over 300 years. Despite the harsh Beijing elements, snow, sun and the infamous pollution, these buildings are preserved immaculately. The vibrant colours, unique carvings and chiseled rooftops make the Lama Temple a photographer’s paradise.

I found my way to the large silver cylinders that sat to the side of the courtyard. The locals told me they were Tibetan prayer wheels and if I spun them to the left it would bring me good fortune. Who was I to turn away from superstition? I spun every prayer wheel I could fine.

I watched the locals bow to Buddha while praying for good fortune and counting their blessings. Once their prayers were finished the smoke lingered in the air, the now familiar scent invading my senses one last time.

As the sun set and the night began to cool, I slowly walked through the many halls that make up the temple. This tourist attraction was about to close, but there were no workers ushering me out. I was free to move at my own leisure. After all, in this place of worship, there was no rush.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About tamarah


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.