Existing Member?

Cuba thoughts

A generous place...

CUBA | Friday, 15 May 2015 | Views [222] | Scholarship Entry

Cuba’s people and history have left me incredibly inspired and with a positive life outlook. I have never met people so generous, grateful, well mannered and kind despite their limited means. Cubanos love life and appreciate every minute of it and they will surely make you join in! Martha, who has the same second hand book stand at Plaza de Armas in Havana since she was a teenager, talked to me about Che – how he used to stroll in the evenings at the Plaza, he was ‘elegante’ she said and always kind and caring with the kids playing around and the people he would meet. I heard about Fidel from Amadeo, an Italian who felt in love with Cuba in his youth and after 15 years back and forth decided to take citizenship, about his 8 hours speeches on the 1st of May. I learnt how proud they are for their past, their revolutionary fathers and the deep respect they have for them. I learnt about their struggles, their dreams, how ready they are to move forward.

While visiting Trinidad I found myself in town on Mother’s Day. Mother’s Day is special everywhere in the world but what I experienced on that Sunday in Trinidad was unique. The day before, streets and shops are busy with families making the shopping for the big feast that is to follow and bakeries are producing in frenzy oversized, sugary cakes to be offered to celebrated mothers. Finding myself so far away on that day from my mother and family, the family I stayed with at casa particular invited me to join the celebrations. I was touched by the way I was embraced by the family to celebrate this unique day. Mother’s Day in Cuba was not a closed-door family affair, it was extended to everyone. I am not a mother but that didn’t stop every passerby from well-wishing me when crossing paths at the street.Mother’s Day was a fiesta, laughter and music were echoing at the streets and through the open yards of all houses.Cakes of all colours and sizes were in the arms of families on their way to join celebrations and barbeques were set.Houses opened their doors not just to family members but to neighbours and friends. Fresh fruit, simple good food and music orchestrated an unforgettable afternoon. There was a continuous movement and at times neighbouring houses were joined in one big celebration.It was not just a celebration of Mothers but a celebration of family, friends, people and life. This is the thing with travelling. You find yourself so far away from family only to be ‘adopted’ by one when you least expect it.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About taksidin


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cuba

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.