Existing Member?

In the Most Unusual Places

Treasures of Thermopolis

USA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [101] | Scholarship Entry

In 2010, suffering from heartbreak and exhaustion, we opted to go on what we thought would be a once in a lifetime adventure. We had worked tirelessly for over 5 years sinking heart, soul and my credit into a business that we just couldn’t save.

Upon closing, we opted to spend 3 months traveling across the country in an old luxury van and a pop-up camper. As we wandered, we used keywords like “unique”, “unusual” and “historic” when searching for our next adventure. In talking with other travelers as well as friends and family, some attractions stood out as must see including Thermopolis, WY… where we left a small part of our hearts.

Thermopolis, a small town of 3009 souls in the NW quadrant of Wyoming, is home to Hot Springs State Park. In 1896, a deal was made by the Shoshone and Arapaho tribes and the federal government that insured the hot springs would remain available for public use and is now a park operated by the State of Wyoming. The indoor and outdoor pools are regulated to 104 degrees in which you can soak your cares and pains away for 20 minutes every day. Incredibly therapeutic. The park also offers walking trails, picnic shelters and a suspension foot bridge over the Big Horn River for great viewing of the river and the hot mineral spring’s multi-colored terraces and, in the winter, you can watch the feeding of the resident herd of bison.

This tiny town has other amazing attractions including the Wyoming Dinosaur Museum, Legend Rock Petroglyph Site and the Wedding of the Waters where the Wind and Big Horn Rivers change names. The Wedding of the Waters launch begins a 7 mile paddle downstream past red rock cliffs and rainbow trout with the takeout at Rainbow Terrace in the park.
The Legend Rock Petroglyph Site, protected by the National Register of Historic Places was accessible by picking up a key at the local chamber of commerce. The more than 92 panels with 300 plus characters were breathtaking on the sheer cliff carved into the varnish by the Ancient Ones some 10,000 years ago.

The Wyoming Dinosaur Museum features 30 mounted dinosaur skeletons for a genuine walk through the land before time. Dinosaur digs are available for kids and adults alike.

This adventure only added fuel our nomad souls and we are halfway through a 4 year plan to be ready to travel as a life style and Thermopolis is high on the list of return spots.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About taffyt


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.