Existing Member?

The journey begins or When dreams come true

Land of the Thousand Pagodas

MYANMAR | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [1492] | Scholarship Entry

What do you feel when your dream comes true? What do you think about when your night fantasy turns in reality?

I’ll never forget the day when I saw a dream in my waking hours. It was early morning before sunrise. The mist closed in upon the ground. A feeling of drowsiness crept over my body and I stepped up to the top of the ancient pagoda, I felt the warm of stone under my feet. There some people were on the top. Not a lot. All of them were waiting for something unusual like me. And it began… The miracle, the magic, the fairytale written by the nature which I have never seen before. Just imagine: the first rays of the rising sun settled a sky and dozen air balloons sailed up into the clouds at the same hour. And hundreds or even thousands pagodas were around you as far as eye could reach. Sense of triumph and pure happiness were inside me. ‘Hello Bagan! Finally we met!’, I thought.

Then I carried on my discovering this amazing and very interesting place – The Land of Thousands Pagodas. I was riding in the horse cart and smiling Myanmarian driver told me the stories of every pagoda that we visited and told about their traditions. If you want to open this great ancient culture you should remember some rules. Mayanmarians are mostly Buddhists. So it’s very important to show the respect for their culture and religion. You have to call at a house and pagodas barefoot. It fell into a habit to take off my shoes every time when I came up to pagoda. And of course your clothes should be suitable: trousers and skirt for men (by the way, men in Myanmar wear traditional skirts), long skirt, trousers and hidden shoulders for women. A quiet style of dress would be an asset (sleeveless shirts and shorts are not allowed).

I was impressed by an old history of Bagan, majesty of the architecture, number of pagodas and temples, unique story of every building, welcoming people and tasty local cuisine. It was my great adventure! Bagan is worth to see it firsthand.

But the strongest impression and the most valuable memories are connected with my first emotions in the rays of the rising sun. Bagan is the very special place for me where I left my heart. It was love at the first sight! And this feeling will never end.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About tabula_rasa


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Myanmar

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.