Existing Member?

lIFE IS TRAVELLING

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - My Big Adventure

EGYPT | Friday, 25 March 2011 | Views [129] | Scholarship Entry

Egyptian wonder
It was a dream of my childhood to touch the world`s sevenths wonder, which survived through a millennium of years, preserving ancient culture, for people indifferent to the past..
It was a long journey in anticipation through the city of sales and modern hotels to the place where time has stopped as if by magic in the middle of a desert.
As I stepped out of the bus on the waterless land with my eyes closed I took a deep breath first and opened my eyes with iron determination. The first thing that came into my view was the Great Pyramid protecting the oldest secrets of all time from the callous crowd of tourists roaming in its vicinity.
The image of thousands of slaves moving huge stones from the quarry and then lifting them in order to make this powerful structure for their masters was engraved into my memory from the books my mother used to read for me. It took around 20 years to erect the 146.5 meters tomb for Khufu or Cheops, which has remained the tallest building for more than 3,800 years. And here it is, exposed to the sultry African weather surrounded by the Pyramid of Khafre and the granite shelter to Menkaure`s soul and spirit.
Behind my back I heard the voice of the guide telling the story about the Battle of the Pyramids in 1798, when The Great Sphinx of Giza , the oldest known monumental sculpture in the world lost his nose. Combining the head of a Chephren wearing his headdress and the body of a lion , it admires the scarlet shafts of sunrise much more earlier than other structures.
Suddenly the wind started dancing across the desert dunes as if whispering the ancient secrets in his own incredible language. Only the square stones knew the stories the grains were trying to retell. People rushed to the bustling market offering a great variety of souvenirs to suit all tastes . I purchased a miniature pyramid and sacred beetle of Egyptians called the scarab in memory of this amazing trip.
But the journey was over and I had to return to the bus taking me away from the still and calm Giza Necropolis to the hustle and bustle of my own city.

Tags: #2011writing, travel writing scholarship 2011

About syuzannakakar


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Egypt

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.