Existing Member?

The European Experience

The Typical American V. Me

USA | Tuesday, 13 May 2014 | Views [104] | Scholarship Entry

How do you describe the typical American? Someone who only knows one language, someone who never travels outside the country, or someone who is afraid to explore the unknown. So, how did I end up here? I am American, yet I don't associate myself with any of these stereotypes. Unlike other Americans, I refuse to believe that my life is limited to just the USA. If I lived my life dreaming about vacationing outside of the country, and not actually pursuing them, I'd go insane! What's the point of dreaming about things such as vacations if you don't actually attempt to pursue them. What's the point of dreams at all if you're too afraid to explore outside of your comfort zone and learn new things. Every day I see my friends talk about how they want to travel the world...well why don't you do just that? Start planning already! But, no. They just stare at pictures of their desired travels and hope for the best. I believe that if you truly want something in life, you have to at least try to get where you want. Then you can say that it's not gonna happen. But if you don't even try, then you are just like every other typical American. You dream and dream, and then hope for the best. So, how did I end up here? With people who don't want to take a chance and step outside of the box, with people who dream about things and never actually try to achieve them, with people who believe they have limits. I just don't understand how I ended up in a place like this because while I'm American, I do not identify with any of these mentalities. No, I refuse! When I go abroad I want people to think about the stereotypes and the media representation of America. Because what they don't understand is that there is the typical American, and then there's me.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About swinson


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.