Existing Member?

The Reál Madrid by metro: east falls church to plaza elíptica

How Long Does It Take Keys to Fall 7 Floors?

SPAIN | Sunday, 30 March 2008 | Views [999]

So i've done two stupid things lately - and i can't figure which exceeds the other.

1) i went exploring last night. after getting walking about a mile from my house to a pretty nice fountain, i could see puerta de toledo in the distance - something i haven't seen yet. so i took a bus like half way there and then decided to walk the rest. i got to the top of the hill where the monument was and saw my bus coming so excitedly i hopped on. looked back and realized i never actually saw the monument. i mean i saw it, but i didn't get up close, didn't read the engravings on it... i was like 30 meters from it at best, and watching it shink in the distance through a bus window. looks like i'm going back (which i'm not completely opposed to, but i mean i didn't even have a reason to go home, i was just gonna be even more bored at home, and puerta de toledoless).

2) just now, yes within the past 5 minutes, i managed to drop my keys down the elevator. i went out to meet andrew (jenna's boyfriend), finished their chocolate from chocolate con churros (they think i'm gross), complained a little, laughed a lot, took the metro home before it closed (so i was only out for about an hour... side story. i'm a dumb spaniard - again - i've spent the past two freakin days inside, and today was gorgeous. i need to leave the house more). but so got in the elevator at my apartment, per usual routine pressed the 7 button, and as soon as the door opened i pulled my keys out. and dropped them. and of course they managed to fall right in the 1 inch crack. i stood and watched, waited for them to hit the ground a few seconds later. my senora was a little surprised to find me ringing the doorbell. wonder how i'm gonna get those back...

time is really schitzo here - sometimes it flies by, sometimes it's glacial,  sometimes it smacks me in the face that i'm halfway through and only have two months left, and others, i feel like i'll never be home. i've got nothin else to add to that really... haha. i finally got plane tickets for london. so that's my last travelling while here, or at least until my mom comes. the ticekts had like an on sale day, so cleo offered to put them on her credit card for me and let me pay her back at the beginning of the month when i had money for it. lol i'm such a loser. but as i quoted to andrew... what't travelling/student life without being broke? haha okay so i'm not broke, and i've had a lot of help from my mom, but i'm managing. i've never had to deal with this extreme kind of money spending/budgetting but i'm doing okay. next month should be okay, but that all pends on phone bill. andrew's insisting he gives me a loan, but as i've also recently discovered, i apparently have a pride issue and refuse to accept it. but again, depending on how my phone bill goes i may have to. but so i have no more plane tickets to buy, no more hostels to pay for, and may gets to be my leisure month. hopefully hit up a real madrid game and then to presents for people back home.

about london - i'm staying with lottie. she's one of my best friends from a camp i worked at for four years. we haven't seen each other in like 5 so i'm thrilled. and then my ex, ariel (don't laugh) is gonna try to meet us. the deal with him is that we were good friends in high school and then dated for about 6 months in 10th grade. broke up. dated a little later for about 2 months and had a huge falling out right after graduation, upon which he promptly moved to scotland for school. it upset me most because in my eyes, i put a lot of effort into making sure he was okay after we broke up because, well after transferring from a different high school and having to make new friends, he never really did the second part of that statement, so i tried to stay his friend. this came off more as leading him on - elongating the break up process. so when we split, we made a canyon. we finally started talking again around sophomore year and got to be friends. and so now he's gonna try and meet up with us - oh yah he's friends with lottie too. she came to visit right after camp that summer when we met and then since they were in such close proximity they just kept talking. weirds me out a bit... but whatev.

so i signed up for classes. and as i've mentioned (as well as was reminded by my advisor) that i'm supposed to be keeping this journal for my major and a seminar i have to take when i get back - lol i don't write a whole lot about experiences and their meanings to me. mostly just random things that go on - i guess my "little things" entry was what they're wanting, but i'm a little nervous about whether or not we'll have to turn this crap in? or just use it to write the paper (yes paper) i have to write. i mean they're not gonna ask for a summary of what all i did, it's supposed to be about what i've learned. and this sure doesn't do a whole lot of that. haha oh well. i've learned spanish? does that count? hmm, wonder if the paper itself is in spanish. i hate writing essays in spanish. i do at least two a week for my instituciones (government) class. gross. apparently i look spanish/brazilian. but it helps me get by a little so at least i don't look so alien. except, of course, there are sometimes when people KNOW i'm american: it's because i wear a north face isn't it? haha yep. i've got my skinny jeans, i've got the ballet flats, but when the warmest jacket i have is a black north face, well i'm screwed. but oh well, i've been told many times by strangers that approach me that i have an excellent spanish accent, so that's not too bad. now if onlyyy i could speak the language better. don't get me wrong i'm eleven point six times better than when i got here, but it still needs work. hah speaking of languages i need to start brushing up on french. can not wait for parissss!!! sooo excited.

on one last note - i got my housing situation sorted out. i was freakin out a bit about it. i found out that three of my friends from the soccer team (including one i was supposed to live with next year but that sorta fell through) are living together off campus. made me a litttlllleee bit unhappy. but instead, i'm living in the dorms (ew) with jowers, steph webb, and tater (yay!). it sucks to be living on campus as a senior, buttt it would probably help out a lot with money and not having a car. so i'll suck it up. as for saving money - apparently i'm eligible to graduate early. my advisor advised me of this via email. i knew i only had a few classes to take my senior year but didn't realize i could finish them all in one semester - well i could if i weren't on the soccer team. one falls right during practice so that's a no go. but i told my mom and her reaction was that since i only had to take one class my spring semester if i was goin to downshift to part time studentism. got me thinking. smart decision... yes. it would potentially save us a lot of money (depends all on how much it costs, because i'd lose my scholarship money but if the class is cheaper, then it may be worth it) and i'd have to move off campus. on the other hand, with the three empty class spaces i was hoping to take electives that interested me, like a second semester of french (oh me and languages love each other), a public relations class, and a sport management class.... just for the experience since i couldn't add a minor like that. but we'll see. haha for fun, here's my schedule next semester... three classes tuesday thursday, a six to nine on wednesday, and, yup, no class on monday or friday. heck ya four day weekends!! excited. alright now. it's two am, about to be three (daylight savings) and i'd like to get out of the house a little bit more tomorrow and actually do something with my life. sooo, esca-later (i'm not gay i promise)

ps... in other tabloids: i'm running out of toothpaste and am scared to invest in spanish versions; i'm sick, again; i may be developing bed-sores from lying on my left side all day; my computer still won't charge; my best friend is such for good reason, she sent me a package with pens (yess!!) and postcards from the whole team... LOVE HER!!!; my senora is trying to feed me a lot so i gain weight and she seems less fat (she hasn't said this but it's a theory i'm trying to prove); she's happier when her husband isn't here... they fight a lot... makes me nervous; the news is a lottt more violent here; i watch spanish game shows (like pasa palabra) to help my vocab... even though they speak too fast for me to know what's going on; my dreams are like the hallucinations in eli stone (worth checking out); i miss my family a lot; and i miss my boyfriend.

About sweeneyo8


Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.