Existing Member?

Freedom About my trips. About what it means to be free.

Each step is a Victory*

PORTUGAL | Thursday, 20 November 2014 | Views [203]

In the region of Alentejo in Portugal, a small village called Carrasqueira.  The word written on the boat in Portuguese means Freedom.

In the region of Alentejo in Portugal, a small village called Carrasqueira. The word written on the boat in Portuguese means Freedom.

We don't know what is to be free until we leave the comfort of our homes and start walking towards an unknown horizon.

Only two steps, that´s what we need to be free. We can tremble on the first step but in the second one we are confident enough to keep walking.

Walking the Portugal Southwest coast showed me so many good things... The humanity in it's pure form, the Nature in it's pure form.

This is not only a story about myself but also about the places that I saw and the people that I met along the way. Maybe it is a simple story but most of them are. It is simple but true. It is just amazing when you see the truth in your path.

 This journey was all about letting go the normal daily basis and start living each second as the miracle that it is, and it worked. It changed the perpective that I had about life, people and everything.

Maybe a lot of people will think that it was not a big achievement but what others think about your life, your decisions and your goals is not important, what it is important is that you don't give up on things that matter to you.

I left my house with a heavy backpack on my back and with the goal of walking 274 kilometers until a city called Sagres in the end of the Portuguese Southwest coast. It was ambicious for a person that was not used to walk a lot and that didn't do any kind of physical exercise. 

Along the way it happenned so many simple things that were crucial for a lifetime experience. The people that I met taught me so many things, even without them I learned things about myself and my limits that I didn't know. The capacity that I had to survive on my own was better than I could ever imagine. People in general are much better human beings that I could ever imagine. The world, my country is much more beautiful that I thought and have some amazing places that most of the people would never imagine that could exist.

This is what we learn when we travel. Such a good lesson. And for me the best story starts inside ourselves.

After this there are no limits for what we can do. If there is better stories out there? Probably. But anyway what matters is two things: The importance that the story has for you and the way you share it with others. What is important is that we can touch in others hearts somehow and inspire them to do something.

I hope I can inspire others through my pictures to just give that first step.

 To be free is to go.

 

About swcoast

 The trails of the Southwest coast tell us a simple story: Life is good when Nature is bigger than us.
For some people that's enough.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Portugal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.