Existing Member?

Let Loose in the Middle East and India

Official Tel Aviv resident

ISRAEL | Tuesday, 25 March 2008 | Views [206]

and scene...
I AM FINALLY IN TEL AVIV!!!!
 the past week and a half are a tad blurry, so I will give some details sparingly. before I came out here, I spent a day volunteering for an organization called shulchan v shulchan (table to table). the organization collects food for the needy here in Israel. They go to banquets (bar mitzvahs, weddings, etc) and collect leftover food, go to stores, have soup kitchens, etc. I spent the day in strawberry field picking.. you guessed it; strawberries. In order to be considered Kosher, farms here need to (among other things) dedicate a certain percentage of their harvest to the needy. It was a ridiculously hot day, but still a really cool experience.
 I went to a basketball game in Ranana one night. Jews... not good at basketball. recruits, pretty good. it was an exciting game. kosher
 food at concession stands? not tov.
school ended.. I graduated my first ulpan; but am going to start serious ulpan here in TA soon.
 The end of the time at the kibbutz was bittersweet. While it was really relaxing and a beautiful area, it became pretty claustrophobic at times. I tried to initiate a color war for some excitement, but
did not succeed. I gave my second haircut securing my title as kibbutz barber though.

 I heard an incredible speaker on the high tech world here in Israel.
 Its incredible how many large companies get started here and take off.

 There is something unique about Israeli culture that really drives the innovation process. The world's largest geothermal company,  salinization company, along with the world's largest companies for DVDs and cordless phones are all Israeli. There is an intoxicating amount of upward mobility here.  So, after leaving the kibbutz, i finally got to my brand new apartment in tel aviv!! Everyone from my program is in one building, in two wings. I lucked out and got the new wing. I was supposed to be living in a 2 bedroom with 4 people, but dished out a little extra money for my own room. i had enough after the kibbutz with living with 3 people in a confined space. so, my apartment is a studio, its a little prison cell-like given the absence of windows... but hey, beggers can't be choosers. its an apartment and only i live there. The apartment building is on the busiest street in tel aviv; king george. it's always alive.. i can't even compare it to anywhere in chicago- but it's great. i promise... pictures will eventually come. its a 5 or 10 minute walk to the beach, and i have been there everyday since i moved in. the weather has been incredible.. and everyone here takes advantage.
 MY JOB IS AMAZING. i technically started Saturday, but all I really did was attend a Purim party for Foreign workers and their children. So, most of my job is emotionally draining, aside from the parties. I go to these events and write articles for magazines and Newspapers in Tel Aviv - most of which are unique to a certain group of immigrants; both legal and not. The articles are pretty standard, some are later translated. I also submit pictures for most of the publications. The next part of my job, the part i'm most excited about, is leading a group called the Nepali Women's Voice. They are forming their own committee to aid Nepali immigrants in their acclamation to Israeli life. Because many of these women are illegal, they need a safe place and group of people to go to with problems - anything from sexual harassment to problems with landlords to searching for "underground" day care centers. So, I lead this group of women, along witht the president of the committee, Sheerjana, who is by far the most amazing woman next to my mother and aunt (hi auntie E!) that I have ever met.  My next meeting is Sunday so I will undoubtedly share the "meeting minutes" with you guys. Lastly, I haven't started teaching at the Nepalese Embassy yet, but am slotted to have my first class on Sunday. Very exciting. I can't articulate how great it feels to be involved in such an incredible organization. I am excited to get more and more involved as time goes on, as the foreign community is one big networking opportunity to help.  Thats about it. life is amazing. i'm glad i'm here and making a difference, and many friends and having incredible experiences. I hope this finds you all well and anxiously await hearing how you are doing.

 

About swarjam


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Israel

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.