Existing Member?

Summer in Italy

Goodbye Zizou

ITALY | Tuesday, 11 July 2006 | Views [664]

What a game. It had it all ... controversial decisions, outbursts, upsets ... sadly it was decided by penalties, but Zidane, Zidane, Zidane, why couldnt you control your temper for another ten minutes? The last ten minutes of your international career as one of football's greats?? The match was close, with only millimetres separating the two sides, Trezeguet unfortunately miscalculating his penalty kick by mere fractions of a degree ... but it was enough for the Italians. Here in Treviso the town population seemed to quadruple as they gathered to watch the big game in the town square - piazza dei signori - on the big screen. Every Italian possession was great with excited cheers, and every French steal with tumultuous booing as the game progressed to extra time. Looks of fear grew as the game drew on and France gained control of the match during the second half, but the biggest raucous arose when tempers blew out between the two goal scorers of the match - Zidane and Materazzi. (for a laugh, check out http://tonaz.altervista.org/zidane.html) ultimately resulting in Zidane ending his career with a red card in a world cup final - what a way to go out!! It is a shame that the most anticipated game of the last four years is decided by a penalty kick out. In a game where it is near impossible to score a goal in 90 minutes (only one legitimate field goal was scored in this one) it seems rediculous to decide the match by reversing the situation, and putting the goalie in a position where it is near impossible to make a save. Most PSO goals are either saved through pure luck - the goalie taking an educated guess at the direction the kicker might choose, or through inaccuracy - as Trezeguet demonstrated. Shouldnt football finals ask that the winning team kick a winning field goal, no matter how long it takes? Surely this would promote risk-taking and benefit the viewers of the game, rather than encouraging teams like Italy to play defensively and hold off for the PSO... Bring back the golden goal I say. Make those million dollar players earn their keep. But regardless of the method of determining the outcome; headbutts, nipple tweaks and terrorist taunts aside, the game was a delight to watch, and the Italians celebrated accordingly. When the winning penalty was kicked, Italy went bananas, bursting into chants, song and conga lines, climbing anything that could be climbed, setting off firecrackers and flares, getting naked and dancing in the streets and flags waving patriotically high. Good sportsmanship was thrown aside as France, Zidane and Trezeguet were thanked for their contribution to making Italy the champions of the world - a title I am sure every Italian person will claim with pride for at least the next four years. It would have been nice for France to win, at least as a consolation prize for Italy taking out my Aussie mates. But, this game is a clear demonstration that the world doesn't follow the rules of a fairy tale, heroes aren't heroes every day, and the winner of a football match comes down to who gets it right on the night. Congratulations Italy, and thanks for the amazing party!

Tags: Party time

About suze

This is me in October 2004 at the Alhambra in granada, Spain

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.