Existing Member?

Every day

It's a tough job but someone has to do it!

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 22 July 2014 | Views [178]

Here I am at Horn Island in the Torres Straits, having a quiet day and waiting for tomorrow to head to the outer Island of Masig Island and then Moa Island. It's the Magistrates Court circuit, hence the reason I am travelling. Horn Island also known as Ngurupai is an island in the Torres Straits between the tip of the Australian mainland and PNG. It is the site of the major airport for the Torres Straits, the gateway to the other islands and the mainland.  The population here is about 650. I have flown in from Cairns this morning to meet up with the rest of the court travellers.... Who are out today at Darnely Island and Badu.

It is beautiful up here, the water is the bluest of blues, reef, coral keys and islands dot the coral sea from the mainland to PNG. Each day we take a small charter flight to the islands where Court will take place, more often than not in  a small community hall or basketball court. The Elders of the communities provide 'Kai Kai' and there appears to be a bit of a competition on which island provides the best traditional food for us!!

Tomorrow is Masig Island (Yorke) it's a coral key in the eastern area of the Torres Straits. it's about 2.7 km's  long and 800 metres at its widest. Population is about 180! Masig is one of my favourite islands. After Masig we will head to Moa Island and Kubin Village one of the two on the island. Moa is one of the largest islands with a population of (Kubin) approx 350 people. In all the islands English is often the 2nd or 3rd language, hence court proceedings can be quite challenging.   

About susiequaid


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.