Existing Member?

The Adventures Of Susan & Lars "Where are we going?" said Pooh... "Nowhere", said Christopher Robin. So they began going there...

The Spectacular Sand Dunes of Namibia (South Africa into Namibia)

NAMIBIA | Friday, 10 October 2008 | Views [6239] | Comments [5]

[Editor's Note: Stick with me here, it gets funny toward the end]


Our super-exciting, fast-paced Africa-overland safari-adventure started with... two days in exactly the same place where we already were.

We met up with the group at a guesthouse about half an hour south of Cape Town, four having flown in that morning from Great Britain, four coming off a few days in South Africa scuba diving with Great Whites, and one connecting from a previous overland across ZA. All Brits. We got up early to make the 9:30 meet time, which consisted of being told there would be a briefing at 11:30 and then wine tasting after lunch.


The next day was more ambitious, and we went down to the Cape of Good Hope. Actually, not the southernmost point in Africa, but the south-westernmost.

It is the demarkation between the Indian and Atlantic Oceans, and anyone who thinks this is purely cartographic convenience hasn't seen the way the currents collide here.

The weather was four-seasons-in-one day.

We got some great photos with our new camera, and I managed another “Dangerous Wild Animal Yelling at Lars” photo when this Baboon decided I was taking too long to get the framing just so. Let me tell you when they bark, they mean it!


Next up was Table Mountain. We hoped to take the cable car up to the top, but it was totally socked in. The whole point is the view, so they close it when the weather turns foul.

The “normal” format for this trip is to start in Victoria Falls and end in Cape Town. Hence, two days of relative R&R with some shopping stops for good measure. But we're heading north, so we get the rest days at the beginning. Why the “normal” direction is one way when you obviously have as many South to North is beyond me (hello – one truck). Anyway, we had our rest days, complete with private bathrooms and real beds. Too bad, really. We could've used them later...

Susan: We also saw penguins! Here are some pictures --

Day 3 was a long haul up the west side of South Africa.

It's the wet season in this part of ZA, so the scenery was very different from our earlier drive across the country.

The wildflowers were in bloom and the route winds through verdant agricultural areas.

“Camp” was the backfield of a backpackers' lodge nesteld among citrus trees.

It was a little odd at first, I think I was expecting something more “Yosemite Valley” but my chagrin vanished once the sun went down. It got cold fast, and the common area of the hostel had a fireplace. The group continued getting to know each other as we ate dinner in front of the “bushman television”.

A modest drive the next morning brought us to a camp on the ZA side of the Namibian border. It was teeming with other overland trucks – more companies than you can count. This is apparently a popular route and a very popular way to see it. The spot was pretty, right along the Orange River.

The next morning we took some inflatable kayaks for a ride down the river – “crocodile and hippo free since 1933”.

OK, actually I have no idea since when, but they were all shot long ago and that rhymes. It was... nice... but not brain-melting. Mostly calm and sort of pretty.


Really, that was sort of the whole thing so far. The first few days were consumed with “just getting there” and breaking up the haul into manageable rides. But that night we'd see sunset over “Fish River Canyon” in Namibia. It's the second largest after the Grand Canyon.

Susan did a little celebration dance after we cleared Namibian customs (oh wait, she just needed to pee, nevermind) but we smiled at yet another exotic passport stamp. We piled back into the truck and I braced myself for what are supposed to be the “inferior roads of Namibia” which, unlike South Africa, are mostly unpaved. I was prepared for the worst. Namibia is a very poor country, almost completely desert, so everyone has to scrape a living out of the rocky, sandy soil and few sources of permanent water. I'd also read in at least one guidebook that Namibia had some of the worst loos in the known world.


The road turned out to be quite good, in fact everything in Namibia turned out to be quite good. Every preconception I had was dispelled, and most of what I had been told to expect was flat wrong. We spent roughly two weeks here, and I gotta say, Namibia has it's shit together. I'm sure they are still poor, statistically, and that the incoming wealth is slow to trickle through the population. However, signs of economic development were abundant; a bustling tourist industry in Swakopmund, new developments of vacation homes for South Africans along the coast, the roads were always in good shape, even unpaved roads seemed to get regular scraping to keep them smooth. You can always drink the tap water, as the government has an aggressive program of water quality regulation and testing. The cities were clean, dusty of course, but litter free. And the loos were universally better than you would expect from their peers in the States. That last one isn't so much Namibia as most of the world, come to think of it. The toilets in the US tend to be pretty dicey... anyway, Namibia was a joy to travel in.


But I'm getting ahead of myself here and skipping the telling of sunset over Fish River Canyon.

Honestly, and I hate to say this, I am skipping it because it is skippable. The Canyon is pretty, and the sunsets in Namibia are always spectacular (it's all that dust), but if you've been to the Grand Canyon this one just ain't gonna impress.


I feel kind of bad writing this. Five days into our trip now, and I'm sort of unimpressed. OK, the wildflowers were pretty, the sunsets are to die for, but we've driven something over 1,000 kilometers and spent 25% of our (rather expensive) trip and so far we've done some ho-hum kayaking and one “really spectacular world heritage site” that is disappointing. But to be honest, it might have been the cold.

We thought we were prepared. We still have most of the clothes we used to keep warm in Mongolia, for Christ's sake. Also, we bought sleeping bags (rated to 0-degrees Celcius) in Cape Town specifically for this part of the trip. We also still have our sleeping bag liners, so some not-even-freezing-temperatures nights should be no problem, right? Maybe it's the contrast. It is winter (August in the Southern Hemisphere) but the days are warm, hot even. There was some chill in Cape Town when the sky was cloudy, but since then it's been warmer. But every night it gets cold - really, really cold. And we're camping. In tents. Not sleeping has a habit of messing with your gumption levels the next day.

I was actually faring much better than Susan, who, specifically because it is a huge pain in the ass to get up and pee in the middle of the night, couldn't help but get up to pee in the middle of the night. An evening beer was a quick casualty of this, but by the end of our trip Susan would hardly drink water after 5. It's a cruel psychological trick that when you have a nice warm bed to come back to, and a private loo five feet away you sleep 10 hours, but if you have to put on clothes, get out of your sleeping bag, unzip the tent, climb out, rezip the tent, walk across a dark campground and then reverse the whole process, you need to pee every five seconds. Then you are stuck, back in you sleeping bag, waiting to warm it back up so you can get to sleep again, only to get woken by the guy zipping open the tent next to you.

We weren't the only ones, and Clive, our poor henpecked guide, was greeted by a daily barrage of “is the next campsite warmer?”

From Fish River Canyon we drove to Sussusvlei. This tongue twister is the gateway to the magnificent dunes of Namibia.

The campsites were charming numbers contained by low stone walls and huddled under huge trees planted for shade in the otherwise open grassland. The tall grass was dry, and the view gave that same feeling you get driving by wheatfields when you think you could just stick out your hand and pass it over the tops and it would feel like soft fur. The area was nestled between jagged mountains on one side, and the red-sand dunes on the other. It never rains, but once a year water flows from inland and floods the area. A short burst of activity and growth is proceeded by 11 months of dry dorrmancy.


Before sunset we climbed a dune near the campsite. The sand changed color with the fading light, covering the spectrum from orange to red to purple.

This is the oldest desert in the world, 80 million years or more. The wind blows inland in the morning and out to sea in the evening. The constant grinding of the dunes under the shifting wind makes the desert sands the finest in the world, with a consistency more like dust than what a California beachgoer would think of as sand.

This makes climbing difficult, and also fills your shoes. We thought we had poured it all out after the walk, but the tiny grains had gotten in through the little holes in the mesh and my shoes were stufffed with sand between the layers of construction. In Cairo, weeks later, I would still be working out small handfuls of sand.


In Soussusvlei, finally, was an experience worthy of the hype. The view from the top of the dune was spectacular, as now we looked down on the grassland and could see the textures left by last flood, a thousand feet below us. Behind us the jagged mountains rose up, their faces scoured by eons of wind, but never any water. Our dune was the first in a long line, stretching 130 kilometers to the sea.


Not satisfied with one existential experience, we woke the next morning at some ungodly hour to make the drive out to Dune 45 in time to climb it and watch the sunrise. Our departure was delayed by one of the other campers, and the driver did his damndest to make up the time en route. I don't know if you've ever driven 160 km/hr or not but I'm sure you haven't done it in a huge safari truck on unpaved desert roads. The excitement was mixed with watching the lightening sky out the windows as the desert slowly acquired color, like a slow motion tale of Genesis; “Let there be Light!”


Fortunately, we did make it to the dune in time, and Susan and I were at the top before the sun broke over the horizon.

I was the first up, and could snap some photos of the perfect, untrod line of sand made by the night's winds.

The air was warming already, and the dunes were giving up the little bit of moisture that had accumulated as dew. Mists hung just over the curves, slowly becoming like halos ringing the larger dunes before the winds picked up. They briefly hung over the dunes in perfect visual echos of their shape before evaporating completely and vanishing altogether.


After taking a ridiculous number of photos, knowing they could never really capture the view we sprinted down the steepest part of the sand, a thrilling drop of 1000 feet in a few seconds.

The colors continued to shift as we ate breakfast and then drove deeper into the wilderness for a short hike. We spooked away a herd of springbok, who sprinted off before I could capture them on film, and saw lots of spoor; of snakes, antelope, lizards. Testaments to the rich wildlife in what at first glance seems a beautiful, but desolate landscape. We contemplated the ingenuity of life as we alternately watched ants at work and looked out across the completely motionless dry lakebed.


This was about the time the damn kids started to get to me.


Of the eleven tourists on our trip, four were travelling together. Evan (late 40s?), the not-actually-father of Hannah (21) was squiring her and two friends, Becky (24) and Shereen(21). Like any young girls suffering from arrested development, they were constantly talking about nothing. Yap, yap yap, all day long from the seat behind us on the truck. Fortunately, while their brains were stuck in their teens, their voices had matured and we were spared the squeals of real teenagers. I'd gotten pretty good at tuning them out. Occasionally they would put in their ipod earbuds, and even from 4 feet away I was treated to the melodically-challenged brit pop of today, but this too, I'd gotten pretty good at tuning out.


But here we were, a few hours after dawn, an hour hike from the end of an hour-plus drive from a remote camp days away from the nearest airport, a full days airline journey from Europe, surrounded by the glories of nature, in the oldest desert on earth, immersed in the wonders of nature that fights to scratch out an existence in such a harsh place. The wind murmurs and groans as the winds rise and die under the warming desert sun - And they didn't shut up. Not once. Not even to breathe. Yap, yap, yap. I think they were talking about their gym. Not some intimate whisper about the humbling power of this place, or a contemplation of the eternal, nor a breathless question about the existence of a creator. The gym. It definitely messed with my mojo.

When we got up to walk back they were silenced, finally, not by the exertion of walking on the sand, but by the ritual injection of ipod buds to their ears. Then, and I am not making this up, Shereen asks “So, are we in Namibia then?”

I weep for the future.

Later, we had a brief visit to a nearby slot canyon, which was nifty, but nothing to compare to Zion. It was impressive to still find water (and Jackal tracks) in what was by this time of day a very hot and dry environment.


Camp was a little nothing place en route, but with a fabulous sunset. One of the best I've ever seen. The bands of color in the sky stretched almost all the way back to meet again behind us in the Eastern sky, and encompassed every known hue, even a ghostly green that I have never seen before in an evening sky. The next day we were off for Swakopmund; a real bed, our own showers, and a chance to buy extra blankets. Plus, the best best thing to Snowboarding in August for invoking the envy of my buddies back home – Sandboarding! (stay tuned)

 

Comments

1

OMG, this may be the most amazing installment of pics to date! Though how can I EVEN compare to all the other amazing places?? Fabulous, you guys! Miss you, looking forward for you coming back stateside, even though you are probably dreading reality. I had a great bday, thx for the message Suz! Love ya! xoxo

  Jen Keppel Oct 14, 2008 9:01 AM

2

These are the best pictures you've had on the entire trip. This looks AMAZING. Miss you guys! Can't wait to Wii with you this November!!

  Brian O Oct 21, 2008 8:37 AM

3

Wow! These pics are gorgeous! We just got home from Bora Bora and I'm feeling pretty lazy after hearing about your trip since all we did was read and lay out. We missed you guys at the wedding, but can't wait for your trip to KC in November!

  Sarah Oct 26, 2008 1:18 PM

4

We loved seeing the pics - we are looking forward to seeing you two soon - amazing pictures and great stories!
xo

  Lauren & Leigh Anne Oct 26, 2008 2:14 PM

5

I've loved reading this.........why did you stop after Namibia? Did something happen???

  Karen Oct 14, 2011 1:18 AM

About susanandlars


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Namibia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.