Existing Member?

The Adventures Of Susan & Lars "Where are we going?" said Pooh... "Nowhere", said Christopher Robin. So they began going there...

Land of Fire and Ice! (Mongolia)

MONGOLIA | Wednesday, 23 July 2008 | Views [2197] | Comments [2]

Day 2 – Drive to “White Mountain” Red rocks

The next morning we were off for another haul across the steppe. The landscape out the windows was constantly changing.

Table-flat at times and rolling and bumpy at others, I took some video inside the car to try and capture the experience, but it doesn't really come out. Nobody was ill (the whole trip, actually) but there were definitely times that Susan and I were eating a few extra peanuts (peanuts settle your stomache which is why they traditionally serve them aboard airplanes). But mostly flat – which was why we were all so surprised to suddenly find ourselves atop a cliff overlooking an infinitude of red rock badlands.

I've actually never really explored the Southwest of the United States, but this is much how it looks in my imagination. We snapped some photos and again were off for our ger for the night.

Soaking up the peace and quite of the empty steppe is a beautiful way to spend an evening. Our ger was in the middle of a very large dale. I sat for a time with the camels listening to them crunch on the brittle grass.

There was very little green; the spring rains had evidently not yet showered here. In the distance I could see an occasional sheep siloutted along the ridge and when the wind was right you could hear them bleating across the miles.


Our ger had only 5 beds, and Bud kept joking that he could “share” with our hostess, a cute little Mongolian woman. Natalya was taken with the Mongolian women from the start “they look like dolls” she would say. Inwardly I cringed a little at the racial generalizations, but I didn't disagree with the sentment.

Now Bud is something like 50, with a shaved head and a huge spare tire. For the first few days of our trip his left eye was ringed in red – not blood shot, bloody. Seems he and Rink had a REALLY good time on the Trans-siberian, but that one night brought one Vodka bottle too many and Bud awoke with an eyeball filled with blood. The red ring was the remnant of an even worse start. So you have to picture this giant vodka-guzzling guy, with his earrings and motorcycle-watch and black t-shirt with a giant skull and this tiny little Mongolian, demure and gentle and seemingly new to the world.

Bud and Rink travel a lot together, both are either divorced or never married – it was sort of unclear. Bud would joke about all his “ex-wives” but I think anything with two-legs and a pulse qualified for the honorific. About half-way into the nights vodka bottles (plural, yes) the guys were retelling stories of previous trips. Bud waxed poetic about the beauty of Thailand's beaches and jungles. “Everyone thinks you just go to Thailand for the sex... I mean, yes you do, but the beaches are really beautiful too!”

Bud did end up sleeping in the other ger, but in his own bunk. Come morning when he found out she was only 17, and the daughter of the family whose other gers were barely visible on the horizon he seemed a little sheepish. Even to a guy in a skull T-shirt, a 30-year age difference is impolitic.

Dinner was dried noodles and rehydrated dried yogurt, and in portions more appropriate for a svelte 5'4” local than a 6'7” guy and two bikers. Susan and I cut up our bell peppers and made a hug bowl of pasta with olive oil and the veggies. They wouldn't keep anyway, and we had enough for everyone. We got lots of thanks and goodwill, especially from Bud as he injected himself with extra insulin to counteract the extra starch. No sooner had we all put down the extra food and Bud was injecting again – this time to counteract the vodka bottle he and Rink were opening.

Despite the quantities consumed, the conversation never got above a certain tembre. Something about the majesty of the environs causes the same sort of sotto voce that one uses in a temple or church. Really, the unholy racket didn't start until we went to sleep. Now I'm not one to throw stones on this, because I know I can saw wood with the best of them, but let's just say I found it sort of appropriate that these two would be driving around in big bikes with drag pipes instead of mufflers. They must keep about the same volume in daytime and nighttime. Again, earplugs to the rescue.

Breakfast was tea and a couple of cookies. Our bread was still passable, I never thought I would miss all the preservatives they bake into these things at home, but by the next day it was getting pretty sketchy.

Day 3 – See Ice Falls, Ice Valley, See Bainzak town, Drive to Dinosaur Bones

From our second camp we had a short drive to the town of Bainzak, where we planned to do a little reprovisioning before heading off to see the “Ice falls” and the “Ice Valley”. The food thus far has been less than subsistence, and nothing fresh. The last of our veg was the cucumber we sliced onto our near-wooden bread for lunch. But we'd gotten the rhythem of cooking a little extra for dinner, and carrying some bread/nuts/whatever for lunch. So we were eager to stock up on stuff, especially some fresh veg for the next three days.

At this point anyone who has actually been to Mongolia is laughing.

If you ever have a conversation with one of those people who is like “Communism is beautiful man, I mean, everybody is equal and works together, it's a workers paradise” you gotta take them to a Mongolian supermarket.

Imagine a room thirty feet by fifteen feet. Along the walls are shelves, and in front of these is a counter. The centre of the room is empty. The sheves are sparsely filled, and about half of the shelf space is given over to household sundries – beauty products, diapers, really awful toilet paper. About a third is vodka. The remaining sixth is cookies, flour, dried rice, chocolate, dried meat, sketchy sausages, canned meat and stale bread. For you non-math types, this leaves exactly zero space for produce, which is how much they had. Not one veggie, not one fruit. The only “juice” is orange soda (which I discovered the next morning when I opened it).

Now to a journal writer this part of the story is about how this would indicate that for the next 13 days there would be nothing fresh – not one veg, not one fruit, not one unpreserved piece of meat. To the social scientist this is about how a part of the world without running water or sewerage DID have “whitening face cream” whatever the hell that is. Public sanitation is 'an important public good', but vanity, it seems, is profitable no matter where you are. Guess which gets priority in practice.

A drive and a hike brought us to the ice falls.

It's technically not a glacier, just winter snowpack sliding down the steep walls of steep canyons, but it sure looks like a glacier. Two hours before we were in cookie-baking heat in the middle of the desert, and here we were treading carefully lest we slip on the ice and snow.

Back in the van and another short hike brought us to the “Ice Valley”. It's a river at the bottom of another impossibly steep canyon.

Even in May it's frozen almost solid – reminder that without moisture to hold the heat from the daytime sun, desert temperatures plummet once the sun has set.

Rather than stay in the bleak Bainzak (which Bud kept referring to as “Mine Sac” in a crude bastardization of Dutch and Mongolian that needs no translation to English) we plowed on to “Dinosaur Bones”, where we would spend two nights.

Bud and Rink helped Doc patch the tire we'd blown earlier, and then we're messing around with one of the local's motorcycles. Neither of the guys speaks Mongolian, and obviously no Mongolians speak Dutch, but Bud and Rink and Doc and the host patriarch were all laughing histerically and halfway through a bottle of the local engine degreaser (OK, the label technially says vodka, but I am dubious) before the host women had boiled the water for tea.

Dinner was pretty exciting – noodles with a few flecks of dried meat (instead of yoghurt).

That night we had one of the most beautiful sunsets I have ever witnessed – a scene of steppe, and sheep and distant gers all painted with a humbling palette.





 

Comments

1

OMG, these pics are amaaaazing! What happened when you had to go to the bathroom! Not even a shrub to crouch behind! xo

  Jen Jul 24, 2008 9:03 AM

2

If you ever have a conversation with one of those people who is like “Communism is beautiful man, I mean, everybody is equal and works together, it's a workers paradise” you gotta take them to a Mongolian supermarket.
Uhmm.. you do know that Mongolia is a parliamentary democracy?? It's left communism in 1989, which is a considerable amount of time.

  Strange Jul 24, 2008 11:34 AM

About susanandlars


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mongolia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.