Existing Member?

The Adventures Of Susan & Lars "Where are we going?" said Pooh... "Nowhere", said Christopher Robin. So they began going there...

Adventures in Mongolia begin!

MONGOLIA | Thursday, 17 July 2008 | Views [2143] | Comments [2]

You know how when you go to the movies and the preview is always better than the movie...

How to capture the essence of two weeks in Mongolia?

To frame this problem, I'll quickly summarize what we did (and why we were offline for two weeks). We flew into Ulaanbataar, the capital city of Mongolia, and after organizing a group to share the expenses, headed out in a 7-seat russian 4x4 minibus.


In 13 days we covered 2700km, with maybe 200 km of asphalt and perhaps as much as 400km of unpaved road.

The rest was overland (and rock and river). Each night we would stay in a ger, a sort of felt teepee, but more like a yurt if you know what that is.

Round, and low-ceilinged with beds arranged around the sides and a simple woodstove in the center. Water was often only what we brought with us (though breakfast and dinner were provided by the family with which we were staying).

So... really out and about.

On the drive South from Ulaanbataar we quickly move from the dry dusty, rocky desert hills to the Gobi proper.

The “Gobi” is the dominant feature of the Mongolian landscape. Ultimately we would spend 7 days here, covering about 1700km. This part of Mongolian landscape mainly plateau at about 1500-2000 meters about sea level. For the most part it is very flat, but there are mountains that poke up suddenly, vitually without foothills. As you drive the vistas are alternatively an unbroken circle of horizon, or an infinity of flat with distant, craggy peaks.

The kind of view where an hours long approach to the ridges that look “right there” seem to bring you no closer.

The Gobi is not just the sand-dune “desert” you see in pictures (although there is some of that), most of it is “steppe”. Sparse, harsh earth technically considered grassland, but yielding something more akin to a badly maintained baseline in a baseball diamond than the infield or front-lawn texture that a westerner would associate with the word “grassland”. Every few feet a tuft of grass will poke through the hard, dusty earth. A meagre mouthful for the goats, sheep and camels that the nomads try to raise in this environment. As you look out across the landscape these infrequent dots of color start to merge at the horizon. The parallax has the effect of a pontillist painting, and at distance the tableland or occasional hills defy their true nature by showing subtle hues of green along with the browns and yellows. It is very beautiful.


It also seems... primeval. This is among the harshest climates on earth. Annual temperature variations in a single place can exceed 150 degrees Fareinheit. It is parched. The result is very low density of plant and animal life, and even today, of people. This leaves only the wind to wear down the land that is slowly ascending from tectonic forces. It accounts for the dust, and the flat and... the fossilized coral we found along the way. We also saw (with the help of a guide) a nearly intact skull of a sabre-toothed tiger – reenforcing the visceral sense of anachronism and physical reminders of the many histories of this land.


Of all higher order life on Earth, people inhabit the greatest range in lattitude and climate. No other creature is as adaptable. One day in the Gobi where we were spending two nights (no driving) Susan and I were off for a walk. Our hosts' gers were on a large flat part of the steppe that abutted some nearly vertical red clay cliffs.

These very much resembled the landscape of the American Southwest where erosion has left red sandstone. But here the cliffs were only 20 feet or so. Atop these were sort of tree-slash-shrubs, desperately holding to the soil.

Along the edge nearest the cliff the trees seemed dead, probably sucked dry by the wind off the adjacent steppe. But 5 meters in the trees were alive, and just showing their new spring growth. The outer sentries were sheltering the other trees from the wind. This area had a totally different texture of earth, flora and fauna. I actually got photos of some lizards mating.

It was pretty entertaining. The male had just sort of latched onto the female with his jaw and was preventing her from running away. After a few minutes of her dragging him along, trying to get away, she was fatigued and stopped struggling. He sort of twisted around (without letting go) and aligned the necessary parts. It didn't look comfortable, but neither is small talk and pick-up lines so who am I to judge.

As I was watching this ancient, spring-time ballet a local boy happened upon me. Oddly, he was carrying a shovel. Seeing my interest he showed me how he was digging holes near the trees, and through gestures, explained that a single shoveload of dirt removed near a living shrub gives a place for the rain to collect.

This encourages the shrub to put out a shoot and grow a new shrub. Eventually they dig up the roots, which I was assured make good eating. So the trees here are sort of quasi-cultivated. Its a lens into the history of all mankind. We started as hunters and nomads, then as herders we could become semi-nomadic like many of the Mongolians are today – returning to the same grazing grounds year after year with the new seasons. The process that this boy was performing, giving centuries or millenia, would yield a new domesticated crop, and in a different climate and era, lead to farming, permanent settlements... a history of civilization in an afternoon.

The night before we had watched as a local group shaved the camels. They were already starting to shed their winter coats, and camel wool is valuable as a trade good and indispensable as a resource for making gers, clothes and blankets for the family. The method was interesting. After lassoing the camels and eventually leading the stubborn thing out of the group, two people would loop a line around the knees until the camel felt itself “tripping” and would half-sit, half-fall down. Then they hog tie him (over his strenous objection) before finally using shears to cut what hair they couldn't just pull off in clumps with their hands. In the meantime the other camels in the group all turned away – none of them wanting to watch the distress of their comrade. (**we were not allowed to take pictures of the camel shaving.)


In the afternoon when we went camel riding and saw the sabre tooth skull the family patriach proved the authenticity of the fossil skull by showing how a peice it stuck to his tongue – a sheep or camel skull fragment (merely a bone, and not a fossil) won't do this.

It all left me feeling very ignorant. In days of driving through featureless land, our driver was never lost once (and no, we didn't have GPS).

The families we stayed with carve a living out of a landscape that would kill me within a day of my plastic water bottle went empty – two at the most. The people who live in this environment have a practical knowledge and vocabulary that is much more than a language barrier away from my understanding.

As an engineer I like to think of myself as knowledgeable about practical things. I'm not just someone who exists in the meta tier of civiliation, making a living parsing english literature or some such – I build useful practical stuff. I can change a tire, I know how electricity actually works, not just the magic of “plugging it in”. I'm practical - you can explain this stuff to me, damn it. But here I am a babe in the woods. From the time they are knee high the kids are learning how to handle the livestock, find water, to point their ger door away from the predominant wind, dry the food that will keep, cook the food that won't, and an infinity of subjects I don't even know about.

...

But it isn't just the local nomads who adapt. All humans do, and so did we. Adapted to 6, 8 or 10 hour drives along rough landscape with loose shocks, to sleeping in one ger with 4 new friends and beds about 20 cm shorter than I am, to “toilets” that don't have seats, or flushing water, or walls for that matter.

We didn't ever really adapt to the lack of fresh food (no refrigeration and no roads means everything is dried or preserved), but we managed. So in the spirit of adaptation, here is a list of the top things for which I have a new appreciation:


  1. Sit-down toilets

  2. Flushing toilets (yes, that is seperable)

  3. Walls that keep out the snow from the toilet (again, yes, it's own, seperable concept)

  4. Fruit

  5. Salad (Leafy Greens!)

  6. Bactrian Camels (two humps means one to lean on and one to hold on to)

  7. Western or English saddles (as opposed tiny little wooden ones)

  8. Horses that are used for pleasure instead of those expecting real horsemen with skills

  9. Climates where poo decomposes rapidly (less to step in)

  10. Climates where poo decomposes slowly (less to smell)



 

Comments

1

Hey, what's with the English literature crack? Those skills are very useful for, er, um ... well, never mind.

  Greg Nicholson Jul 18, 2008 7:19 AM

2

Great photos! Which aimag are these photos of?

  Bilguun Jul 18, 2008 12:38 PM

About susanandlars


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mongolia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.