Existing Member?

The Adventures Of Susan & Lars "Where are we going?" said Pooh... "Nowhere", said Christopher Robin. So they began going there...

The equally over-rated Vegas of the East (Macau)

MACAU | Thursday, 15 May 2008 | Views [1313] | Comments [4]

So our last day in Hong Kong we went to Macau. Not much to tell really, it's really small. You have to go through emmigration and immigration both to and fro, and officially they speak Portuguese and Cantonese (though really, English seems more the second language). We walked through the casino “strip” with the miniature versions of the Las Vegas behemoths, and then through the historic district with very well preserved (courtesy of casino money, I am sure) Portuguese buildings.

This part of town has kept it's old colonial feel, and is a big draw for tourists not on the casino floors. It's also very small and can really only occupy about 2 hours of your attention (courtesy of Casino money, I am sure).

We didn't see the big “Venetian” which is not on the strip, and largest casino in the world, and so were surprised to learn that Macau now exceeds Vegas in net gambling revenues, but we're told the revenue of tables in Macau exceeds those in Vegas 10:1.


Though we didn't gamble, we did get lucky. The Macanese Olympic Torch relay runners were posing for a group photo, and we happened upon the spot at the same time they were congregating. As the early birds were waiting for others to arrive they were posing for photos.


What I hadn't realized until after we took these photos is that each relay runner gets to keep their torch (since they pass the flame, not the torch). So we are holding an actual Olympic torch that once carried the flame. I had a strange mix of emotions, recognising the total inappropriateness of China being awarded these games. I was a little nervous taking the picture – I had this little movie playing in my head of the Turets version of me doing and saying something stupid and getting arrested, sort of like when you look down a steep cliff and part of your mind explores “what it would be like” before your sweating palms and vertigo force you back a pace. However, the warmth of this guy, not a politician, just some former athlete, and his willingness to take a photo and share his torch with us for a moment transcended politics. For this moment, at least, the true spirit of the Olympics overwhelmed the crass commercialism and corruption of the modern iterations.


The next morning we were off for Beijing.

 

Comments

1

Nice pix! Jody's leaving for the "real" Vegas tomorrow for her big convention. Sounds like you guys are having a great time in Asia. The girls would be jealous as they love dumplings. There's actually a cute little Japanese grill (not sushi or hibachi) near our house which has beoome a favoite - we like the Japanese pizza - very different. Take care and look forward to seeing you guys in KC.

  Jeff May 17, 2008 1:05 AM

2

Great that the athletes get to keep the torch - they just pass on the flame, I guess. Fun to see the photo of you two sharing this man's prize possession for a moment.

Cannot wait for the Mongolia reports - and for photos of Lars on a teenytiny pony - just like when you were growing up, except then your size was proportionate:))

Love,
Luuk

  Luuk May 17, 2008 3:04 AM

3

This looks like so much fun. Lars, great job keeping Susan away from the blackjack tables. Miss you guys!

xoxoxo,
Brian

p.s. I saw Jake Gyllenhaal and Reece Witherspoon biking down San Vicente yesterday while I was running. Don't you miss LA? ;-)

  Brian O May 19, 2008 1:42 PM

4

lars & susan! hey there friends - so glad to see the adventure continues! (my vball coach in college carried the olympic flame across south bend for the '96 games in atlanta - she kept her torch too!) mini vegas - interesting - just like vegas has mini venice, etc. weird!!! cheers! lauren & leigh anne

  lauren & leigh anne May 20, 2008 1:08 PM

About susanandlars


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Macau

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.