Existing Member?

The Adventures Of Susan & Lars "Where are we going?" said Pooh... "Nowhere", said Christopher Robin. So they began going there...

Wanted for Lunch – Dead or Alive (Nara)

JAPAN | Wednesday, 30 April 2008 | Views [1928] | Comments [1]



After such an early start for the Buddhist ceremony, and walking around Koya-san, and then the trip to Nara, we were dead on our feet when we got there. The tourist information desk booked us into a nearby hotel. After about two-weeks in Japanese style rooms we both wanted real beds. The futons-on-Tatami mats are fairly comfortable, but a little firmer than we're used to, and we got to the point of longing for a deep soft mattress. We checked into a perfectly fine “business hotel”. Real beds, private loo & shower/bath, and internet in the room. Also, (sound of trumpets here), coin-op laundry. We had an exquisite night of doing nothing.


We did, however, go out for some food. Just around the corner from our hotel was a little sushi shop where the plastic food in the window looked particularly appealing. These display cases are everywhere here, but I gotta say that sometimes the presentation has the opposite effect than the proprietor intended. This time, however, I am happy to report that Susan's sushi-radar continued to serve well, and we had a fantastic meal that would have easily been four times the price in California. Sushi is really the only thing here that is cheaper than at home, something we have been taking aggressive advantage of.


The next morning we got a reasonably early start. The YMCA in Nara arranges free, English language tours, and we had arranged to meet our “goodwill guide” at 9am. The tour was fantastic, just the cure for the temple-fatigue that was starting to set in. Our tourguide was a very nice lady with good English and an encyclopedic knowledge. In four hours we learned more about Japan than we had gathered thus far in two weeks.


By legend, deer are sacred in Nara, having been the harbinger of an important Shinto Diety moving to the city. There are over one-and-a-half thousand deer in and around the central park of Nara, which is big, but still very full of deer. The deer feed primarily on these little rice cakes that are baked especially so tourists can buy them to feed the deer. It's actually forbidden to bring them cabbage or what not from home, as this trains the deer to pillage the gardens and fields nearby. Also, according to tradition, the deer are very polite, and will bow to you if you bow to them. I'm happy to report that they do indeed bow, and then head butt you in the leg until it is clear all of your rice cakes have been eaten.


Nara also houses the largest Bronze statue in the world. It is a big Buddha cast in the 8th century. It's a little over 30 meters tall, which puts each of its ears taller than I stand, and each curl of hair bigger than a human head. A child could fit in each nostril. Being an engineer, I was tremendously interested in how they cast such a huge thing in an era when everything was human powered. Well, it was done in stages, and cast by building a mold around the clay positive (which was then chipped away). A large hill was built around the site in order to reach the desired height. After the statue was complete, and the hill removed, the great pagoda was built around the statue. Sadly, the pagoda was not to last, and after about 2 centuries the Buddha was out in the cold, where he would sit for more than 500 years. Eventually a new pagoda was built, at 2/3 the size of the original. By this time the massive cedar trees that were used as pillars were no longer to be found in Japan. The spread of Buddhism apparently not accompanied by a spread of sustainable forestry practices. It would take about 800 years to grow a tree of the proper size, so the pagoda today is held up by pillars made by bolting together smaller pieces of wood.


Buddha and his two attendant Bhoddisatvas sit on giant bronze lotus flowers. The lotus flower is a sacred symbol in Buddhism is because it grows up out of the mud, yet blossoms with a pure and beautiful flower. A Boddisatva is a human, destined to be a future Buddha. We also got a nifty little chart of Buddist deities that instantly clarified two weeks of aquired questions in Japanese mythology. There are these cool “guardians” adapted from Hindu that sit the entry to all of the Bhuddist temples in Japan. Rather than lotus flowers, they are perched atop demons which they are crushing beneath their feet.


We also visited a Shinto shrine, where Susan tempted fate and got a fortune. Fortunately, she is destined for “Great Good Fortune” and everything is honky-dory. Had it not been so, all is not lost. Those who receive fortunes they don't like tie them knots around trees or strings throughout the temple, hopeful the gods will see this and grant a new fate. These are everywhere, and from a distance can give the impression of blossoms.


At the Shinto shrine there is an old treasury, mainly used for storing the artifacts. These are constructed in a unique way. The basic assembly is sort of like a log cabin, but each log has been hewn such that it has a triangular, not circular, profile. With no bark the logs then take on moisture during the wet season, swelling to make the walls water tight. In the dry they shrink, and allow air to pass through the treasury, preventing dank.


We also saw a Noh theater. Less famous in the west than Kabuki, Noh actors wear masks and as I understand it, present less ritualized performances.


After walking back to the station we bid our tourguide a fond farewell, and nearly collapsed into the chairs at the sushi restaurant. This was the same place that we had dinner the night before. Today we sat at the sushi bar, the place was empty but for a sake-bottle fiend and us. Rather than point to the pictures on the english-language menu, I picked up the specials (all in Kanji) and gestured to the chef. Between his english and my gesticulations we got the point across and he decided for us. The first course? A fish right out of the tank behind him. We were too slow to get a photo of him catching our lunch, but I am happy to report that the head would occasionally twitch as we were eating. I kept saying “did you see it move” but I think Susan thought I was kidding until she noticed one nice big twich and just about jumped out of her skin. We all got a big laugh out of this (the chefs most of all) and everything after that was even better – a reward it would seem for being good sports (or just entertaining on a slow afternoon).


Next stop is Nikko, north of Tokyo. We'll spend 3 nights, which is a lot for this small town, but one of the days is my 30th birthday and Susan doesn't want us to have to deal with trains etc. It's a pretty decent hike, four trains, but only about 6 hours. When we were getting instructions at the station the tourist advisor had very wide eyes. This is roughly equivalent to walking up to someone in Grand Central station in NYC and asking how to get to Lake Woebegone Michigan... tonight. We have a Japan Rail pass, so this is free for us, but we estimated that otherwise we would have shelled out over US$350 for this little jaunt. Gotta love the JR pass.


Once again we proved that happiness on the road is a full belly. And warm with the hospitality of our various hosts in Nara, we were off to the train station to get to Nikko.

 

Comments

1

I like my dinner not twitching, thank you.
Wonder what morsels China will offer. You two are very courageous.

Luuk/Mom

  Luuk Apr 30, 2008 9:35 PM

About susanandlars


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.