Existing Member?

The Adventures Of Susan & Lars "Where are we going?" said Pooh... "Nowhere", said Christopher Robin. So they began going there...

The Samurai Fortress of Himeji-jo

JAPAN | Friday, 25 April 2008 | Views [5417] | Comments [5]

DSC03129

Sunday.

As in, a weekend.

At one of Japan's most popular tourist spots for Japanese tourists.


Oops.


OK, so Kyoto is probably more popular, but is also spread out. This is ONE place. At the top floor fo the main tower (I mean, if you're gonna come you gotta go to the top, right?) is maybe 40ft on a side.


Ok, so I didn't do the math.


Let me start at the beginning.


Himeji-jo is the oldest castle in Japan that is still original. Everything old here is made out of wood, so it's pretty unusual for a structure to last many centuries. Usually something is “from” 740-something or 1120-whatever, but was actually rebuilt three or four times since then, in the original style or even at 2/3 size (which happens quite a bit, actually). But this castle isn't a reproduction, it's been standing as is since the early 17th century. It's very beautiful, and has been the backdrop for many movies.

DSC03119


We did this as a day trip from Kyoto, so we got on the train recommended by the fractional English of the Japan Rail ticket booth agent. It's about 1 ½ hours away. We got on our train. 2 ½ hours later, we arrived. Hmmm.


OK, not to be perturbed we join the swirling masses at the train station, and follow the herd up the road towards the castle. At each crosswalk along the way there are two crossing guards. And I do mean EVERY crosswalk. There was a crossing guard for the alleys. Really, this should have been a warning, but we just found it cool – crossing guards for grownups! The sidewalk here is wide, so even with all the bicycles and evryone else it doesn't feel crowded.


“Oh look, the castle!” I exclaim at the first glimpse through the trees. Susan puts on her best 'I'm excited too' smile and says “Yup! Are you excited?” The green man comes on the crosswalk sign, bored security guys in uniform hold their orange sticks sideways across the road, the herd moves forth. I almost moo, but figure the locals wouldn't get the joke.


There is a street market, we get distracted. Mmm, bi hunks of chicken on a skewer. Mmm, ice cream. Mmm puff balls filled with cherry-blossom cream. Mmm puff balls filled with squid. Yuck! Not what I was expecting. Susan eats the rest of the squid-skewer. It's a nice role reversal. Usually, I get allocated the job of human garbage disposal. See, there are no trashcans here. It's a really, really strange paradox – there is no litter anywhere, and the country is clean as a whistle, but finding a trashcan is a nightmare. Evidently everyone either eats their garbage or the rumors that they carry their trash home at the end of the day is true. (Breaking chronology, I was in the bathroom at a Noh thearter a few days later and the sign actually says, in English and Kanji, “Please take your garbage home with you” Imagine going to the opera and being told thank you for your support of the arts, now please carry your used kleenex in your pocket, because trash is charged by the pound).


Ok, across the moat, and through the gates, winding past fortifications from which samurai arches would have rained hellfire on any army foolish enough to challenge their leige lord. Sadly, we learn the castle was never attacked. Part of why it is still standing, I suppose. But after walking through it I can sympathize – this place is impregnable. It's also huge, the outer moat is gone now but is roughly two kilometers from the keep. The inner moat enclosed a small city of samurai; each with a house and garden. They could have withstood a seige effectively indefinitely, with sources of fresh water and food enough. I start to point out the advantageous positioning of the bridge, which does not cross the moat straigt-on, but at a steep diagonal, allowing more archers and musketeers to basically broadside any attackers from behind and atop the walls. Susan is looking at the flowers.


DSC03099

OK, in truth the gardening is also quite beautiful. But more striking than anything is how the cultural differences of men and women still exceed the differences between American and Japanese. I'm standing in a mass of grown men who have all, simultaneously, been transported to their childhood. We all look with a little envy at the 6 year olds running around with their plastic swords. If nobody was looking...


DSC03103

About half-way up the tower I try to explain the murder-holes to Susan. Gesturing as I speak, “you open the hatch like this, and then drop stones or boiling stuff on the attackers trying to climb the walls”. Susan nods in comprehension, but the little Japanese woman (who can read the Kanji sign explaining all this), “Ahhs” and smiles with sudden understanding. Every male in the place has a pretty good idea of how to stage a fighting retreat through the rings of defenses, using feignts and the secret passageways to overextend, cut-off and flank advancing enemies. Countless hours of military science we study as kids that goes wasted...


DSC03134

So, we walk up and up, through the defenses, past the gates and walls, and into the bottom floor of the keep (the main tower for you Y-chromosome challenged readers out there). This too could provide a pretty good last redoubt, with huge spaces for storing provisions, arms and ammunition. Each floor is linked to the next with a steep staircase topped by heavy wooden doors the open vertically. I would not want to be the guy trying to climb these under duress. Hell, I kinda don't like climbing them now (ankle still hurting) – is there an escalator in the house.


But before we can go in, and imagine ourselves as marauders or stalwart defenders making a desperate last stand, we have to take off our shoes. I just can't explain the entertainment value of a major tourist attraction that has two full time staffers handing out plastic bags so that people can carry their shoes around with them.

DSC03122


At about the third level we hit a dead stop. A mass of people has formed a queue to get up to the next floor. It's long, but moving. We stand around and try to fill ten minutes with a close examination of the paintings done by some ancient onetime resident of the castle... Oh look, a book listing all the samurai of the 13 so and so who was the 7th sone of so and so and yada yada. Susan is still smiling, god bless her.


OK, they let the next group up to the next floor. Bottleneck averted. Except the next story is the same story... Oh look another sample of mediocre art that is really old...


Up an impossibly steep staircase, and a very low head clearance and we are – at the second to the top floor. Which has nothing to see, since they just want you to wait. The line to climb up to the next floor winds two or three times before this last staircase up. We're packed in like sardines with young'ins and teenagers and grown-ups. But everyone is very patient, and get this, there are no ropes or anything designating the line. We're coiled like a snake, waiting for them to let us up, since it goes in batches. When the doors open, and the next 40 people can go, everyone winds along. Not one teenager or urchin cuts ahead, which would be oh so easy to do. Everyone just waits their turn.


DSC03108

Now, I'm pretty excited. It probably took us an hour to wind through to the top floor, it's a lot of time on to be on your feet and wth nothing but squid-balls in my stomach and being surrounded by a hundred or so of my best friends in their socks, I'm a little woozy. We climb past the final defenses, to the inner sanctum, home of the Daimyo himself! And what do we see – a bunch of other tourists in their socks looking out the windows at the view. Susan is still smiling, what a gal! OK, actually, it was kinda cool. The view was great, there was a little shrine where the dais used to be, and some of the detail work in the construction was more ornate and gilded.


DSC03125

Back down, and a brief walk through the gardens, but we both need food and a rest. Then back to Kyoto (found a faster train this time) and the next morning we're off to Koya-san.

 

Comments

1

We're enjoying your trip vicariously. Keep blogging. I just got back from trial in CA. Saw Mimi and kids. Love,Pater

  Stan House Apr 26, 2008 7:54 AM

2

Wonderfully funny to read - maybe not so funny to experience. Glad that the Japanese are so clean - all those socks could be a bit much otherwise!

Love the trash stories - but I do realize we Americans throw away too much - we should be eating it, just like Susan did with the squidballs - yuck.

love, Luuk

  Luuk Apr 26, 2008 9:30 AM

3

you know, squid is actually sustainable.

love you guys!

  Kirsten Apr 26, 2008 10:54 AM

4

squid. mmmmmm. i think i'll go to sushi roku tonight.

  Erik Oleson Apr 30, 2008 10:25 AM

5

Now I know why Japan is famous for being so clean.

  imelda garcia Jun 21, 2010 9:07 AM

About susanandlars


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.