Existing Member?

MARY ON HOLIDAY 2012 Adventure: Oregon, Netherlands, France, UAE, Seychelles, and return

The kindness of strangers

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES | Thursday, 12 January 2012 | Views [304]

Desert saffari

I have been adopted into an Hindu Indian family.   There are tourist adventures that are reported to be "Not to be Missed".   As discussed in a subsequent blog; Daryl are I are not joined at the hip for most of our adventures.  Today, was one of the days that we split up and my "we are only he for a day" person took over.  

After a curfuffel of activity, I got into a modified Toyota land cruiser with two Indian families.  One from the UK and one from New Jersey who first learned about one another and then included me in their adventure.  This changed a trip that I would rate a 6.5 into a 9.0!  I have not felt so included in a long time!

Sometimes, our upbringing and experiences get highlighted.  Horse riding, rodeo, sail boat crew and racing, were all items which came up over the course of the day.  These families had never experienced any of these things and may have thought that I was making some of this up.  It has me reflecting over a glass of wine that American youth are special in our access to adventure.  We live what others think of as holiday adventures. These folks had not ridden a horse or a four wheeler.  I grew up with one and have routinely used the other as part of my work day.  Traveling around the world I must admit that I have been able to experience a super wide variety of things.  But nothing compared to being raised in Amrica with an exposure to all type of recreation and environments.  

Ok so the day included a fantastic ride though the sand dunes.  We left the pavement, let the air put of the tires and we were off.  At times, sand would completely cover the vehicle like hitting a snow bank.  It was bumpy and quite fun.  My new family was quick to get out of the car at any opportunity and ready to mug for the camera.  My new sister, Nancy,  is 19 and self proclaimed spoiled child of he family.  She wrapped me up in a bow and insisted I try all things;  native dress, henna tattoo, and camel riding.  All things I would of have done if left to myself.  

There was a fair amount of down time on the trip but I enjoyed sitting with this family and listening to them jabber in Hindi.   Nancy would fill in the gaps when I needed but for the most part is was just a day of enjoying the sound of two families telling stories to each other in a tongue I could or understand.  It was a good day and I am very glad I got to spend e day with these families.  

About surveymare


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Arab Emirates

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.