Existing Member?

MARY ON HOLIDAY 2012 Adventure: Oregon, Netherlands, France, UAE, Seychelles, and return

Portland Plus 12 hours

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES | Monday, 9 January 2012 | Views [469]

We arrived in Dubai at midnight last. The trip was really good (for one of us).   We flew Emirates air A380** on the 6 hour flight.  Emirates prides itself on being the new PanAm of old.  The seats are bigger, the wine is from the Marborough District of Australia,  and meals excellent.  When was the last time you had real silverware with anything resembling a meal on an a aircraft?  Not alone and endless supply of complimentary adult beverages.  The rest rooms were trimmed with wood accents and the Attendants really cared that I had everything I could want.  I did, except for the elimination of a really horrible child In the seat in front of us.

These parents had two. The good child (pristine) and the child from hell who launched a match box car at me prior to the flight with such vengeance I considered keeping it.  Unfortunately, I gave it back to the little tacker and he beaned my seatmate right in the face.  His mother was exasperated but did not take the action as I would have given the same circumstances.  This theme continued throughout the flight and try as he may, Daryl got no rest at all.

** Do you know the A380?  Its the largest commercial aircraft currently in production.  Dad (Moistner) installed the avionics on these babies in the initial production and noted that " he would not fly in one of these aircraft.". Pits a massive airplane.  Ya know how the B747 has a dome on the front end?  The A380 takes that dome the entire length of the plane.  There areupstairs and downstairs seating areas and I thing Emirates flys about 530 passenger per flights. 

We arrived at midnight and it took no less than an hour to get through customs and out to a cab (slow).  Taxis here are painted beige with the top painted in different colors for the cab company.  Imagine my delight when we were whisked away by a Women 's cab.  Bright pink on top and a women behind the wheel.  Dubai respects tradition and balances life by respecting gender.  We have travelled in several countries where the values were different and this was a welcome surprise.

Our hotel is a classic.  People scurry around when you arrive, pick up your bags and make sure you know how to run the air conditioning.   Now we are a full 12 hours in front of our home time,  its 01:30h and we are not the least bit tired.  Luckily the Sherlock Holmes Pub is open for another half hour so we head to the hotel lounge.

We enter to the sound of a live band.  Some chicks that look like the "5'6'7'8's" are belting out a song better left to Amy Winehouse.  We belly up to the bar for a foster and a Strongbow and feel .... Not like Dubai.

 

About surveymare


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Arab Emirates

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.