Existing Member?

Chris & Lindee see the world

Day 12 Japan - Fuji to Tokyo

JAPAN | Friday, 15 November 2019 | Views [212]

Fuji to Tokyo

We enjoyed one of the best hotel buffet breakfasts, so far on this tour, this morning. Well fuelled for another busy day. We made our first stop at Gotemba Peace Park. The park has a large white stupa dedicated to Buddha; And is protected by and avenue of pairs of “dog/lions”, each pair a symbol used by a different nearby country to guard the temple entrance. The reward is great as you reach the top of the steps, apart from feeling an energetic connection with the Buddha spirit and some quiet reflection time, the view of Mt Fuji is breathtaking. Whichever angle and whatever time of day Fuji-san is a remarkable sight.

Still, we’re on tour, and there’s always another sight not too far away. Lake Ashi is a large spring fed lake in a volcanic caldera formed by Mt Hakone about 3000 years ago. Our half hour cruise on the gold and red coloured Queen Ashinoko (a replica pirate ship) took us from the main port deeper into the Hakone prefecture at the opposite end of the lake. Lake Ashi is also another opportune spot for pics of Mt Fuji when the skies are clear 😊

As we ventured ever closer to Tokyo our lunch was at a roadside stop, one of the largest we’ve seen. 2 floors of stalls selling delicious, fresh Japanese food…soba, udon, sushi, tempura, rice, sashimi, odd bakery items…and a Starbucks.

The motorway continued through increasing density of suburban and city living until the tall office and apartment buildings of the busy city surrounded us. Motorways above us, below us, flyovers circling around and up and down…this city is a busy mass of humankind. Arrival at our hotel was a welcome feeling to our travel weary bones. A restful few hours, and we had dinner close by before an early night. Tomorrow will be a busy one as we’ve booked a full day tour with the Gunns.

About supergg


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.