Existing Member?

Chris & Lindee see the world

Roman Holiday - The Middle

ITALY | Wednesday, 1 February 2017 | Views [350]

...and another coin

...and another coin

After another slow start we found a pasticceria not far from our apartment for a delicious brekky and a good coffee. It was a good place to sit for a while and watch the world go by. We continued through the streets and across the Tiber to find ourselves a hop on/hop off bus to take us a little further afield for a couple of days.

First to find the Trevi Fountain and toss in a couple of coins. Found and tossed. Right beside the fountain is yet another pretty church. Along the street we stopped at Locanda Giulietta & Romeo (yep, a restaurant for Romeo & Juliet); we needed the loo and it was a good stop for a coffee (that came with a little plate of sweet little biscuits)...delicious. Feeling replete and comfortable we made our way through the streets to the Spanish Steps. Time for a climb and some great views out over the rooftops of Roma.

Back on the bus and we made our next stop at Termini Station. A chance to organise our train tickets to the Port of Civitavecchia for our cruise next week. All done and we were back on the bus and on our way further through the streets of Rome. The Colosseum was our next stop. Interestingly, the "skip the line" queue was slower than the regular queue through security. Lucky for us, we hadn't pre-purchased so we went straight through security to buy our tickets and head in to the arena. Given it's age and the extent of the structure, the engineering that it required is quite remarkable. We wonder whether, with our exposure to media, movies etc we have become somewhat desensitised; it didn't quite live up to the awesomeness that we had expected. Tomorrow we'll explore the areas around the Colosseo.

The bus continued through the city and we alighted for the last time today beside the river and took the foot bridge back across the Tiber towards this week's home. It's always a bit of fun to take a different street and this afternoon was no exception. We were in search of something to eat and found Obladi Oblada, a great little spot with the most delicious food, great service and a quirky little space; and surprisingly only a few blocks from our apartment.

Ready now for a good night's rest and another great day tomorrow.

About supergg


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.