Existing Member?

Chris & Lindee see the world

Edinburgh & our royal visit

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 11 January 2017 | Views [309]

I'm not really a morning person, so a 7am flight while on holidays is a bit of a challenge. Up at 4; on the road at 4.30; landed in Scotland just after 8. Caught the double decker bus into the city...a pretty good way to have a bit of a look around. The bus dropped us right in the centre of town at the railway station, leaving us with a really fun walk up into the old town to our accommodation. Yep...UP...a hill...and stairs...but what a great place to stay. We dropped our bags with Reception and walked and walked and walked with the intention of visiting the Royal Yacht Britannia. It was a much longer walk than we had expected especially in the rain and wind, but totally worth it. We did, however, promise ourselves a bus ride back (up the hill).

Brittania is just beautiful. It was lovely to explore the Royal sleeping quarters and the Queen's apartments, and the day to day working areas of the ship, and hear the history of it all. Part of the top deck has been converted to a lovely tea room...the perfect place for us to enjoy some delicious hot soup, scones and sponge cake and tea while looking out over the Firth of Forth. Special!

Arriving back at the railway station we took the opportunity to organise train tickets south for 2 days time. Then back up the hill into the old town to our very comfortable apartmeant...home for 2 nights. We warmed up, had a drink and went out in our local neighbourhood. Up more steps to visit St Giles Cathedral, a walk up the Royal Mile to Edinburgh Castle, book us in and do the tour of Mary Kings Close (a now underground network of medieval streets and homes); Dined on some delicious local food right across from our accommodation in Advocates Close at a great little spot "Devil's Advocate".

Fell into (a huge, really comfy) bed for a good night's sleep in readiness for another big day. 

 

About supergg


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.