Existing Member?

Chris & Lindee see the world

From Germany to Austria

AUSTRIA | Wednesday, 14 December 2016 | Views [398]

On the streets of Innsbruck

On the streets of Innsbruck

A perfectly clear day dawned for us to explore beyond the German border and into Austria. 

Did a little Doh, ray, mee-ing in Salzburg as we walked in the footsteps of Maria and the von Trapp children around the Mirabell Gardens. Even with the trees stripped bare of their green summer coats the gardens are still beautiful. There's a story behind each fountain and each statue That watches over the space.

The pathway through Salzburg was guided by lovely Gabi through the gardens and across yet another "lovelock" bridge into the old town. The streets and laneways took us past centuries old buildings and over cobblestones trodden by villagers through the ages. Now the buildings are occupied by many of the world's renowned traders from Gucci and Prada to McDonalds. A big focus for us is, of course, the Christmas Markets and these were found on the city square, in the shadow of a large cathedral, with some of the more unique stalls we've seen so far.

Our guide had mentioned the cathedral as being "nothing special"...PFFFTTT!!! Spectacular would be a better description. With FIVE organs, incredible design, beautiful wood work and gold plating everywhere you look it was definitely more than special!

Our journey continued: briefly back across the border into Germany then onwards and UPWARDS into the Austrian Alps and Innsbruck. We look out of our hotel window to mountains topped with snow...almost seems unreal to be here. Dinner was held in the medieval town of Hall, a short drive from the centre of Innsbruck. An entertaining evening with the carnivores leaving very satisfied.

We determined our full day in the city to be somewhat quiet. With free time our option we shared a cab with some fellow travellers to experience Swarovski's Crystal World. What a completely unique place...a museum, an art gallery and shopping opportunity dedicated to the crystal designs from Swarovski and inspirations from fashion designers and artists from around the globe. Some fun shopping shared with new found friends.

On our return to the city centre food was timetabled in (by us) and a brisk walk to the Christmas Market gave us the chance to try some local treats before heading back to join our horse carriage ride through central Innsbruck. The cold was biting and after a quick thawing out we ventured out to get lost in the laneways for the rest of the afternoon and into the early evening as the Christmas lights were turned on throughout the town.

OUr warm and cosy hotel room called for an early night as the temperature again dropped below zero.

About supergg


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Austria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.