Existing Member?

Chris & Lindee see the world

Australia to Germany

GERMANY | Thursday, 8 December 2016 | Views [435]

Deep fried potato thingies with apple sauce. Delicious and hot!

Deep fried potato thingies with apple sauce. Delicious and hot!

We arrived in Frankfurt Monday 5 December. Flights were all on time. But they're soooo long...and not so much fun. Adler Hotel is comfortable and clean. Perhaps a little closer to the "nightlife" (read red light district) than one might prefer. But very close to the train station and a decent walk from the Christmas Markets. Perfect to walk off the gluhwein, pretzels (huuuuggge pretzels), cheese fondue, big fat German sausages (Chris) and deep fried potato thingies. We recently watched a story about Rudesheim (on the Rhine river); motivation enough for us to jump on a train an check it out. Very German (not quite sure what that even means) and very Christmassy; oh, and VERY cold. Our train took us out of Frankfurt and ultimately along the Rhine valley, home of many many Riesling vineyards. It's remarkable how the covered hillsides of vines survive through the winter months. The valley, as we travelled through it, was partially covered in freshly fallen snow. Picture postcard stuff.

Today Chris found his pork knuckle and, although not fantastic it was enough to be able to sit and enjoy our lunch in a cosy restaurant looking out over the square filled with gluhwein, wurst (every kind), pretzel, and fondue stalls. The Christmas market gets very busy as the day progresses but even during the day groups of school children, young mothers pushing their babies snuggled under layers of warmth, and, of course, the tourists. The little ones get to enjoy a ride on a double decker carousel while it plays Christmas carols As they travel round and round.

We have our train tickets for our next leg. Tomorrow we travel to Rothenberg aub de Tauber. 

About supergg


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.