Existing Member?

Chris & Lindee see the world

Kuala Lumpur...so far

MALAYSIA | Thursday, 2 January 2014 | Views [567]

Sometimes a picture can tell a thousand words. But to actually have fireworks exploding at eye level after an amazing meal was quite the New Years Eve experience. The pictures just don't do it justice. Add to that the spectacular view of the Petronas Towers...there are no words! At night these incredible feats of engineering sparkle like glittering diamonds.

Our NYE dinner was a lavish buffet of some of the finest treats from around the globe...salmon and tuna sashimi, curries, roast meats, lobster, oysters, crab...so much to choose. And then dessert! Profiteroles, macaroons, chocolate mousse with chocolate brownies, house made fudge...mmmm the salted caramel...divine. Oh and the dark chocolate truffles filled with not ganache (far too ordinary), but an explosion of tangy, icy, raspberry sorbet! Sensational!!!

A late night of course, for those of us who like to be horizontal by 10, but what a fabulous time, and spent with fabulous family. Love that John & Karen are able to share with us.

An early start on New Years Day saw us heading to "the towers" for "the tour".  The "bridge" that connects the two towers at level 40ish gave us the chance to get some great morning pics of the city. But when we were then ushered back to the lift (the whole tour process is very controlled) we headed for level 86. Now that's very high and the views of greater KL fabulous.The day was unusually clear and sparkly.

Then we were in need of some adventure and a less contrived experience, so a cab to Chinatown was our best option. Such a busy city on a public holiday...all the traffic seemed to be heading in the same direction as us. Gotta love a Chinatown...in any city...and this one is no exception!

After a good night's rest and a relaxed start another cab ride to a suburban shopping centre...Publika...a large multi-level, multi-sectioned centre with some interesting cafes and shops, and some unusual artwork everywhere you looked...even in the toilets!

Cabs are a fairly cost-effective and efficient way to get fair distances. Our next ride took us to Merdeka Square. This area is filled with buildings from early British colonisation. The square itself accomodates a 90 metre high flagpole at one end of what used to be the patch of grass where the Brits played cricket...back in the day.

Onward and onward...Batu Caves is where we headed next. A Hindu temple at the top (and bottom) of 272 steps. We did, indeed, climb all the way up. Greeted there by roosters crowingand entertained by monkeys jumping and climbing aroung the greenery that grows down and around the cliffs.

An entertaining little man drove us back in to the city. Very happily practicing his English all the way from one freeway flyover to the next. Taught us a couple of words in Bahasa Malaysia too. Forgotten now but a bit of fun for us all.

So we rest...and wait for our next expedition.

About supergg


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.