Existing Member?

Where in the world is Sue???

Phnom Penh

CAMBODIA | Tuesday, 11 December 2007 | Views [327]

I am going to have to copy from our travel companion Nick for a bit.  He described our trip from Ho Chi Minh into Phnom Penh so eloquently.... and I am sure he won't mind after that ego boost.
 
"We took a very long bus ride to the capital of Cambodia, Phnom Penh.  There was one Brit, two South Africans and around 100 sheets of polystyrene, packed tightly into the back of the bus.  The roads were so bumpy, the Brit and two South Africans groaned and rubbed bruises, the polystyrene groaned too, as the sheets slid over one another.  The border formalities were very quick, which was surprising, because if I saw a coach with 100 sheets of polystyrene wedged at the back, I would call that coach for a full inspection and give everyone on board a thorough looking over.  Luckily, one Brit, two South Africans and 100 sheets of polystyrene all made it to Phnom Penh in one piece."
 
Thanks Nick
 
I am going to add that the road was horribly rough and bumpy.  I suffer from motion sickness so on top of being very tired after Monika's farewell party, I felt horribly nauseous.  I was very pleased to get off the bus.  The country side was lovely and in some respects reminded me of South Africa... complete with mini bus taxis.
 
The Cambodian border had one of the prettiest border buildings that I have seen. 
 
We hadn't orgnanised accomodation and thought that we would be able to organise once we arrived... in the dark.  Needless to day, even we were surprised at the touts jumping at the bus windows before the bus had even stopped.  Ignoring the tuk tuk drivers offering us a 2 dollar ride, we took the option of a free transfer from a travel agency to Okay Guest House.... and it was okay - well once we had our own room anyway.
 
First night we were in a dorm room, and the shower or toilet was either in the main building (requiring a walk down the road in pyjamas - (the tuk tuk drivers laughed at my sheep shirt) or around the house we were staying in.  However, this required a walk through the garage, then through the laundry and then past rows of sleeping men.  My first experience was seeing a man in the bathroom who had neglected to close the bathroom door.... he was kind enough to call me back to use the skanky bathroom once he was done though, I chose to hot foot it back to the main building.
 
We moved to a private room the next morning.  After breakfast, we headed to explore the city.  First stop was Wat Phnom.  It was our first Wat and I enjoyed it.  More entertaining was the monkeys that walked around like they owned the place.  You can pay to feed them - I have a healthy respect for unpredictable monkeys so gave them a wide berth.  I also declined paying to set birds free from a cage - they have been trained to come back. 
 
We then wandered towards a market where I went a bit mad buying some really lovely silver bracelets.  It was fun to shop again.  Lauren and I also bought some one size fits all pants.... Lauren has already thrown hers away, I am keeping mine for amusement purposes. 
 
The afternoon was spent at the Presidential Palace.  Really beautiful, but I will remember it more for the very friendly monks who kept wanting to talk to me..... to practice their english. 
 
Lauren and Nick headed back to the guest house and I took a walk in the nearby park.  I found a really lovely temple/wat nearby but what fascinated me the most was the shrine near a workers camp in a very large tree in the middle of the park - with a Buddha statue and very large orange ribbon tied around the tree.  It was a very pretty park, complete with fountains, memorial statues, pad paving, plenty of cambodian children playing games and adults just sitting and enjoying themselves.  
 
Next morning was another 4 am start to get ready for our 6am transfer to the boat for a ferry to Siam Reap.

Tags: Sightseeing

About sue_hood


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.