Existing Member?

Where in the world is Sue???

Saint Petersburg

RUSSIAN FEDERATION | Monday, 8 October 2007 | Views [463]

After a shower and a rest, we were just about to head out for some food when Anthony and Kala arrived so we dragged them to a chain of coffee shops, kind of like Starbucks, but they have english menus.  We once again headed back down the main street, Nevsky Prospek and went on another walking tour to take in the main sights.  We once again, walked past the Church of the Spilt Blood, this time we were actually able to see it as the mist had lifted and were able to take some photos.
 
At this point, I would also like to say that for anyone doing a long trip to foreign countries, travel with both a VISA and Mastercard.  I have had to try so many ATM's where I had apparently reached my withdrawl limit for the day causing concern and a hunt for internet cafes to make sure my finances were in order.  Not so easy in Cyrillic and the very strange street numbering.
 
We walked for about three hours, stopping at a market opposite the Church of the Spilt Blood, taking in the sights at night of the Admirality, St. Isaacs Church , Decemberist Square, the river, the Winter Palace and eventually watching a musical fountain show, which turned out to be the last show of the season as it was getting too cold and the river freezes.  We searched for a russian restaurant and had out first russian meal of beef stroganoff and mash - loaded with butter which seems to be a norm.  Weary and cold, we headed back to the hotel for an early night before our 3 hour guided walking tour of St. Petersburg.
 
Our guide was great, she spoke really good english and I think was a little stunned that we had seen so much of the sights.  She took great pains to explain the underground system to us, which we had already been using quite happily.  I think she must deal with timid tourists who are nervous travelling.
 
Our guide then went to great pains to impress us with some different sights and six hours later, one bathroom break and no lunch break she finally left us across the river so that we could go to the Peter and Paul Fortress.  We had pretty much walked St. Petersburg flat.  Again, we hit all the main sights but this time with a bit of history and I think she spent more time testing me about the place names that we were going to and it seems I would make a good tour guide.  Saint Petersburg is very easy to navigate around.
 
After the Peter and Paul Fortress, we had another hour walk back over the bridge to a russian folk show.  We wanted to get there early to beat the Japanese busloads arriving.  The show was good but I was surprised how much the russian dancing incorporated irish and greek style dancing.  The show was in two parts broken by a interval where we had champagne, vodka and caviar.  I didn't try the caviar though, it doesn't appeal to me.
 
The next day was taken up by a visit to the Winter Palace and Hermitage museum.  It was very interesting and very easy to spend a day there.  We saw so much and were able to take photos (for an additional fee) of some very famous pictures, Picasso, Monet, Rubens.  I normally tend to get quite bored in museums and galleries but Anthony made it his mission to get me to appreciate art and for the most, I started to enjoy the older paintings where they were "snapshots" into the daily lives of people of that time.  The Winter Palace is a museum on its own and the state rooms and ceilings are beautiful.
 
We raced to St. Isaacs to head to the top of the dome for some pretty views over St. Petersburg before making our way to theatre to watch The Nutcracker.  I am ashamed to admit that I fell asleep during the first Act.  It was hot and stuffy and we had had two very long days.  Act 2 was good and I wasn't alone, Ants also missed Act 1, yet I have been given the nickname of sleepy.
 
Last day was spent at St. Catherines Palace.  Our tour guide had recommended that we use her as a guide to get there, have a guided tour and then we can make our own way back.  We had to use the metro and then catch a commercial bus.  I think we would have been okay but it would have been interesting getting off at the right place as you need to shout to the driver when you want to get of the minibus.
 
It was very pretty, though most of the Palace had been destroyed by the germans during the second world war and had been restored  The highlight of the Palace is the Amber Room, where the whole room is covered by amber.  It is quite a sight and worth millions of dollars.  Though again, this room was restored as the original was taken and "lost" during WWII.
 
We made our own way back on the bus.  Ants took our money and grunted something at the driver, he was probably very confused about where we wanted to get off.  Russian traffic is horrendous and at one point our bus driver jumped the pavement and was driving on his own road.  It took ages to get back and yes, I fell asleep again, it was hot in the bus, and eventually the bus driver drove with the doors open to let in some fresh air.  Some health and safety would not go amiss in Russia.

We headed back to Nevsky Prospek to grab some dinner before lugging our backpacks to the station. 
 
Our train to Moscow was very hot and none of us slept.  It was cramped and the seats were heated, not pleasant when you are trying to sleep in a stuffy compartment.  Another 5am arrival meant we couldn't check into the hotel until 12 so Ants and I slept on the sofa chairs at the back of the cafe while Lauren and Kala stuck it out until our guide arrived for the next walking tour. 

Tags: Sightseeing

 

About sue_hood


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Russian Federation

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.