Existing Member?

Teatime in Turkey

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [86] | Scholarship Entry

The first time I ate breakfast in Turkey I knew that this could be the healthiest country I’ve visited. And nothing has changed my mind after that. My husband and I had landed in Cappadocia after a twenty-hour journey. I had no expectations after an indifferent dinner. But breakfast was an eye-opener.

We were staying at a cave hotel that was keen on showcasing their traditional breakfast. It took me a while to mentally adjust to a mostly raw meal. But after I put a piece of beyaz peynir cheese in my mouth, relief and joy warred within me. Joy won, of course. It quickly moved up to ecstasy after tasting the fresh honey, cucumbers, tomatoes and olives. By the time this gustatory revelation ended with a seductively curved glass of tea, I was sold on Turkish food. And this was only the first morning!

As we traveled through Turkey, it struck me that their way of life and their food nurtured each other. Everywhere we went, we saw children in family groups. There are no special menus at restaurants and children eat the same food. Keeping it healthy yet tasty is an important concern not just in homes but in restaurants too. Another surprising facet was the extensive use of yoghurt. It is used in most meat dishes, with fried vegetable and in meze. In fact, yoghurt is derived from the Turkish word “yogurt”. Many tourists stop with the doner kebap and that’s a pity as the variety of kebaps is second to none. A common thread through our meals was the simple techniques and minimal use of spices and oil. This is possible due to the outstanding quality of produce reflecting Turkey’s pride in its food self-sufficiency.

On our last evening in Istanbul, we ended up at a meyhane, a wonderfully evocative name for a bar. Copious amounts of alcohol and cheek by jowl seating are usually not a good combination except that in Turkey, it only enhances the bonhomie. A lasting image is the mandatory cup of tea no matter if you are meeting someone for the first time or an old friend.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About sudha


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.