Existing Member?

Living Cuba as a native

La Habana without money

CUBA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [201] | Scholarship Entry

When you go out, you take with you your keys, your Smartphone and…your wallet. But why should you carry on with the same routine, even in holidays? Break the monotony! Get out of your comfort zone and leave your home without carrying your wallet!
Everyone knows the wonders of La Habana 50’s, but its people are waiting on every corner for you to give them a little of your time.
A conversation is not the same if there is money involved.
Before I could realize, I found myself chatting about music with a busker on the Callejon de Hamel and philosophizing with a stranger in Plaza de la Revolución. Every place is perfect to do what you less expected to do.
I ventured to try a greasy pizza from a street stall accompanied by a soft drink and people dancing around me. Live the present today - tomorrow you will probably need a stomach protector...
I took a seat to see life passing by in one of those traditional old cars from Cuba with a bunch of men whose names I did not even know. I laughed at their gags and they laughed at my jokes too. Who cares if we could barely understand each other?
The Capitolio is the most accurate place to unearth the hidden. People came to offer me photos taken with a centenary camera, but the best picture was already on my mind. I did not talk to taxi drivers about possible touristic routes to the old town of La Habana, instead of that we talked about how was going on their work day. They answer really gratefully to everyone who is a little bit interested in them.
Talk. Smile. Enjoy yourself. The greatest unrevealed secrets are the ones you have never heard about before.
When the night came, I went to El Vedado. I went towards the first group of people I saw let’s say…too cheerful. I found out the only thing which Cuban people love more than dancing, laughing.
Who wants to take a taxi when you can use public transport? Take a chance, get in a bus as I did, but do it soon or you will get no place. Believe me, it happened to me and the Caribbean sun is not a good partner for your skin. Everyone uses the bus to move around the city, why do not you?
No one at home believed me when I told them I had lived like a genuine Cuban. I ate, played, laughed, sang, cried, thought with them… I discovered the best kept secret from Cuba, its people.
I felt first-hand sensations that I had never experienced before, and above all, I felt them through my senses.
Have I not persuaded you to emulate my experience? Then ask Cuban people if they like it!

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About suarez


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cuba

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.