Existing Member?

it's time i start travelling. it's time i gatecrash a stranger's...you'll know....

Detours- On the other side of the alley...

VATICAN CITY | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [140] | Scholarship Entry

A warm radiant coffee! The lucid shade hung around the aristocratic musk aroma with the proud spot-light bowing down to this ancient invincible that survived to carry all those generations of stories. I felt insignificant enough to feel confident of going unnoticed in my intention.
This being my first step beyond India-started out with the smallest country (except the Republic of Molossia of course- do read about it)-the Vatican in a group tour.
It was a labour’s day weekend and hot as though a nuclear reaction were stimulating in the country – and given the size- pretty close by. The magnificent grandeur of St. Peter’s basilica spouted a fourfold que longer than a mile.
While many were happy to wait it out- I decided to scrutinize just how strange these strangers were through the cave of my viewfinder with a maniacal grin.
At this point -introduce a trippy background score from the monochromatic classics to the visual that is playing in your head.
And then I saw an alley. Right next to the embassy of Brazil.This is when the piano instrumental takes on a rather anticipating gothic nature.
Yards from me gorgeous numbers flaunted attires that confluence the implications of fund raisers and red carpet.And me? Draw the visual from any of those time travel movies of a kid taking in details with no one conscious of their presence. I felt insignificant enough to feel confident of going unnoticed in my intention.
Like an idiot i hoped I would blend in- hardly a task wearing denims and tshirt at a wedding.Easy.
My mystic luck was chopped. A chubby man exerted his big teeth into a grin staring directly at me inches away- frozen for a good 2 mins. His eyes began to squint in perplexity though the ebullience of his jaws remained unaffected. This is when I started blabbering in incoherent broken phrases, “I apologise... visiting this country for the...this is a gorgeous church...I just wanted to....” He was still frozen in his smile.And then his smile exploded into a feast of happiness. He responded “it is the most beautiful Church! Thirty one years ago I stood in this church and married the most beautiful woman in the world...and today my son is getting married... why don’ t you join us for the ceremony?”

I did.

P.S. – On my way back I stumbled onto the most becharming woman in her 50’s with that cosmetic yet elegant grace of a vintage movie making out with someone moaning deeply in a car. I still wonder why they had their windows rolled down though.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About stumblingrover


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vatican City

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.