Existing Member?

Stu and Anna's travels

NZ part 1

NEW ZEALAND | Friday, 29 August 2008 | Views [448]

Marlborough Sound

Marlborough Sound

After 4 months in spanish (or welsh) speaking countries, to land in a country that almost speaks english perfectly was wonderful. We spent the first few days in Christchurch, getting over jet lag and generally just chilling out at Jo and Calvin's house (Thanks for your wonderful hospitality guys). Saturday was Calvin's 40th birthday party which was fancy dress. So Anna got to drag me round the shops looking for outfits to make us look like Eminem and Amy Winehouse. After we had recovered from our hangovers and picked up the campervan we set off round the South Island properly.

First stop was Hanmer springs, where we soaked in wonderful outdoor hot pools in horrible weather (sleet and snow). Next was Kaikoura on the east coast. This is famous for its whale watching tours and the local crayfish. Unfortunately due to the weather no boats were going out and we could sample neither. Instead we walked round the headland and watched some fur seals relaxing on the rocks. Blenheim and the marlborough wine region was the next stop, were we spent a wonderful (and sunny) day being driven round some of the best vineyards in the area (and drinking their wine). The next two days were spent walking round some beautiful coast paths. First it was malborough sound, then the Abel Tasman National park where we did part of one of the'Great walks'.

Next stop was Nelson lakes, where we intended to do some more walking, however we arrived to find the entire area still under a blanket of snow. The local campervan park was completely inaccessible (we camped by the lake) and when we tried to go for a hike we found ourselves fighting through snowdrifts and climbing over downed trees. We gave up and headed over to the west coast and Punakaiki. There we saw the famous pancake rocks and the blowholes. At this point we also realised that the camera was about to explode from all the scenic shots it had been taking, but what else do you expect in NZ!!

 
 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.