Existing Member?

Stu and Anna's travels

Mexico

MEXICO | Friday, 18 April 2008 | Views [348]

Temple of Inscriptions - Palenque

Temple of Inscriptions - Palenque

Well we made it out of Manhattan, down to Cancun. got out of Cancun as fast as we could, and by evening were in a little hostel close to the beach side ruins in Tulum, about as far as you can get from the "1 tequila 2 tequila 3 tequila floor" t-shirts of Cancun, and still be in the Yucatan. The next few days we just went round a couple of different Mayan ruins at Tulum and Coba, chilled out on the beach and like all good English people - got sun burnt! We decided that perhaps we needed to give our white / pink skin a rest so headed inland to the Chiapas region and Palenque.

Well we got the break from the sun we were looking for, it rained for the first 12 hours we were in Palenque.... Not wanting to let a little water stop us, we decided to still explore the local ruins (yes ruins will be a theme for a while!). They were pretty amazing, but we could not have gotten wetter if we had stood under a power shower for 2 hours.... The next day we dried out before heading off to check out some local waterfalls and take a cooling a dip in the rivers (the sun had come back out by now) - see the photos. After 2 days off ruins it was time to feed the addiction, so we headed to Yaxchilan and Bonampak. The river trip to Yaxchilan was pretty cool, crocodiles aside, and the ruins were amazing - completely isolated in the jungle 'Indiana Jones' style! That evening we stayed in a 'Mayan village', our accommodation was basically a wooden shed, and the chicken we had for dinner had been running around the garden when we had arrived!!

The next day we set off for the border by boat. Only trouble was they fitted 13 of us and our bags into 1 basically oversized kayak. The water wasn't quite coming over the edge but it was very close! Having arrived in Guatemala still dryish and without loosing our bags, we piled onto the bus and bumped off down the unpaved roads to Flores....

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.