Existing Member?

The Fairy Tales in Reality

A Local Encounter that Changed my Perspective - No, You Don't Fall In Love Right Away

PHILIPPINES | Tuesday, 16 April 2013 | Views [182] | Scholarship Entry

Love at first sight was not how it started with me and Korean foods. How can I when my roommate kept on ranting about how weird the taste was, how it made her throw up, and made a vow never touch the food again? Whenever someone asks me out to eat and try Korean cuisine, an impulsive NO resounds. My first encounter with it did not help too. It was unfortunate that the first dish I had was a kimchi kimbap. It was repulsive – I can barely swallow the food. I mean, for a first timer, it was an assault to my taste buds!
Fortunately, I am a hopeless romantic who believes in second chances. I didn't know that there were a lot of varieties of kimbaps! When I tried the more normal flavored ones, it was an epiphany. I didn't mean it when I said it was repulsive. It was a spur of the moment reaction and a reminder that I shouldn't be too quick in making any judgments if I don’t know what I’m barking at. That was how my relationship with Korean dishes started.
Getting hooked by the tear-jerker Korean TV drama series I soon discovered there’s way more foods to try than kimbaps. Not wanting to miss the thrill of re-living what I watch, I tried out Korean restaurants in the city together with a friend. I love the “hot pot” where you have to grill the pork and wrap up it inside the lettuce spicing it with the side dishes.
What made me fall deep was the act of the mom of my Korean learner. Making a dash to the cafeteria as students came pouring, I queued for lunch but much to my surprise a Korean parent beat the lunch lady into giving me my food. She surprised me as she told me in her halting English that she had prepared lunch for me. Preparing someone a meal meant they appreciate you and I just feel so happy that’s the case. Not all people will go as far as that to express their gratitude. A simple thank you would suffice but right at that moment, I felt I was a superhero. I was treated with such reverence as she bowed her head every now and then as I thank her too. It was awkward at first but the way she gushed over me and insisted I eat what she prepared was overwhelming. She was even worried I don’t like spicy things since the meal’s a bit spicy. Right then, I know my heart was already filled with so much love.
There was a saying I once saw that “love at first sight is not always the case, sometimes it helps to take a second look” and I say amen to that. It may have started on the rocks but right now, the relationship is definitely smooth sailing.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About strawberrykiss


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.